Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Harddisk usage/space problem with Premiere Pro CS6 trial

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

a few days ago I installed Premiere Pro CS6 trial on my C:\ drive (about 9GB free space of which 2GB or 3GB was needed for installation). After launching Premiere I changed all preferences for scratch disks etc. to my D:\ drive. I've been editing yesterday and I saw that my C:\ drive was completly full, only 1MB left. Didn't install/changed anything to my PC, just have been editing.

So finally I decided to uninstall Premiere altogether and reinstall it at D:\. Turns out that after uninstalling I suddenly have only 2,2GB left of the original 9GB before installation! So it seems that some temp files are still somewhere (even though  all my other temp settings like Windows Temp folder are also located at D: ).

I'm starting to get a bit fed up right now, because there's no transparacy in what Premiere has done during installation and why, after uninstallation, it still takes up about 5GB on my precious SSD space

Any help  is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: after installing it on D:\ yet again my available disk space went down from 2,2GB to 1,3GB on C:\. So Premiere is taking up about 8GB on a disk I haven't installed it on and is not used for scratch disks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Check your C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe directory for superfluous data.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2012 May 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you need a larger C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2012 May 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm very concious about what I install, especially because I don't have so much free space any more. But right now Premiere somehow has taken up at least 7GB of "ghost space" so to speak, and I'm unable to get it back, even after uninstalling the whole package. This is really a problem, is there some kind of tool to clean up Adobe installations after uninstalling them? Or something else I can do?

To be honest this problem has made me a bit angry, because there is absolutely no transparency about what is taking up this space and no way to get it back either (so far). And Windows is flipping on me because there is not so much free space any more. I don't feel like reformatting my harddrive again just because Premiere decided to somehow take up ghost space and not giving it back after uninstalling  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe directory for superfluous data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Harm Millaard. It turns out that the directory located at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files\ is using 6.5GB. It are indeed cached files of a project I was working on the past few days. In Edit >Preferences > Media I changed this location to the D:\ drive as well.

I think this has fixed the problem. Many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And will changing the location of the temporary files to an external usb 2.0 hard drive make editing and compiling slower than using the local hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you will find having a USB 2.0 external, anywhere in the I/O setup for editing, will be painfully slow. Some might be able to live with that, but I do not think that I couuld.

Good luck, and before I committed to such a structure, I would test it well.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Encoder also leaves stranded files here:

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp

It is safe to delete all of the files in this folder,

just skip any protected or running files that might pop up

(usually only one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you.  I've checked and PP does point media cache to AppData, but there's only 4MB there, probably since I cleared out unnecessary files through control program.  As it was said, 90GB does sound 3x too big for Win7 OS and Adobe MAster Collection, it's as though every 1MB uses 3MB of space, but even at 90GB that should still leave apprx. 150GB free space.  All I have is 3GB available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that there is a "Clean" button to clean up the Media Cache files in the Edit > Preferences > Media tab. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Preferences -> Media tab ->"Clean" button looks like the safest way to go. I got rid of 32 GB of old files, with no problems after clean out.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YES! This fixed it! I've had this problem for years! When I went to clean, it took like 3 minutes, and then 200 GB were gone! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

THIS FIXED IT!

I WENT TO C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

AND THERE WAS HEAPS OF TEMPORARY FILES THAT HAD GIANT SIZE! I DELETED ALL OF THEM AND CLEARED MY C DRIVE!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issues, last night I freed up 30gb of space on my SSD which is where Premiere automatically installed, then after editing just one video it chewed through pretty much all of the 30gb, I freed up about 19gb a few hours ago, and after working for a few hours that 19gb is gone and my SSD is nearly full. I dont understand how premiere has used up so much space.

Apparently it is possible to uninstall premiere and reinstall it onto another drive? will I lose all my work if I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening with me. Around 30 gb of ssd space had gone during compilation.

I have checked both locations given below but couldn't find that blue whale who ate that space.

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files and C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp 

NB: I compiled from hard drive to ssd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines