9 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 6:40 PM by the_wine_snob

video formats for simple music clips

sound space

Hi, I’m a newbie to video so some advice would be welcome. I have a music project where I am putting images to a series of 3 minute songs. I'm comfortable with audio formats but I’m wondering about the best video/image format to use in Premiere Elements 10 for a project where the output required is playback through a Mac Powerbook to a projector, showing mainly still images (with duration of anything from 5 secs to 3 mins) and the occasional short moving image. I’m imagining it is best to output  it as a good quality quicktime movie.

Any advice is welcome.

• 1. Re: video formats for simple music clips
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on whether your video is hi-def or standard definition video.

But I'd very much recommend just outputting a DVD or BluRay disc. These are good, universal formats and Macs play them back with beautiful quality!

• 2. Re: video formats for simple music clips
            sound space Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Most of the images will be be stills for this project. There are about 30 songs and only 2 or 3 images will be used with each song. (That said apparently there will be some video footage for some of the songs.) I am thinking that i should probably go wth the DSLR preset for the project.

Is outputting it to a DVD likely to be as reliable as a quicktime movie format? In my meagre experience unless you get a professional DVD player the domestic DVDs are all pretty unreliable (and display menus on the screen), while at least a quicktime (or PC equivalent) format is a little less likely to crash mid performance. (The show will have 2 x 50 minute halves).

You are proposing output to a DVD disc then playing it back on the mac. In my case i would burn a DVD for each half of the show. Do you think this is likely to be better than quicktime? The show's producer has said that I need to be prepared to pause the playback here and there during the show if an artists isnt ready to come on stage.

Thanks for your replay, i appreciate it.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: video formats for simple music clips
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes. I still recommend a DVD or BluRay disc.

• 4. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                sound space Level 1

Thanks Steve.

• 5. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Most of the images will be be stills for this project

You may be OK with "only 2 or 3 images will be used with each song"

But...

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 6. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                    sound space Level 1

Thanks John, that's really helpful as I know next to nothign about video editing.

Can i just say what an impressive forum this is. I haven't before come across such great advice offered so freely and warmly.

It certainly encourages one to keep trying!

• 7. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If one is ONLY using Still Images, then things should probably go in "reverse order," where one would look at the final delivery, set up the Project to that, and then Scale the Still Images to match the Frame Size, say 1920 x 1080 for a BD (Blu-ray disc).

When you add Video to the mix, then that Video takes the forefront. THEN, one needs to look at the Video, and create the Project's Preset to match 100%. At this point, one would Scale the Still Images to THAT Project. Then, when edited, they would choose the output to match their delivery scheme.

What one chooses for the Project's Preset, can depend on what they are going to be working with, and possibly how they need to deliver the Timeline. When one only has Still Images, the "rules of the game" change. Otherwise, Video is "king," and should direct the show.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Also, in John T's link, there are tips on doing automated batch processing of entire folders of Still Images, for use in a PrE Project.

• 8. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                        sound space Level 1

Thanks Bill, although i havent seen them yet i know that the images will be coming from many sources and will be varying quality. It is largely an amateur project and i will have to deal with what i am given, which, when adding in my lack of video experience, will make for a challenging project. And here was I thinking it was just an add on to the audio side....ouch, but i guess it is how you learn.

• 9. Re: video formats for simple music clips
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

On the Audio side, I think that I would choose one of the free "regular" Audio Tracks, rather than the Fixed Soundtrack Track. With some versions of PrE, users have had issues with the two Fixed Tracks: Soundtrack and Narration. The "fix," has usually been to use a "regular" Audio Track, instead. This is not a constant problem, but seems to be Project related. Still, rather than have issues, I'd just use one of the other Audio Tracks, instead.

Good luck,

Hunt