4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 1:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director WebServer (not an April FD joke)

Level 7
      http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xHttpServer.rar

The above is a link to a director based web server.
      The included movie is a windows projector, and requires xpsp2, win2003 or
      newer OS.
      The source is not included in the archive, but the plan is to be made
      available soon as the docs for the Xtra used are finished..
      So, anyone wishing to test a Director based web server with lingo serverside
      scripting, just click the link.

Note that this movie was primarily built to test i/o throughput and
      stability - caching and overall usage of external scripts is not yet
      optimized.
      Buttons for adding firewall exception and nat mapping (through upnp) are
      also included, to facilitate internet/intranet testing.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (contact info can be
      found in the first page of the included site).

- alchemist.

• 1. Re: Director WebServer (not an April FD joke)
          Level 7

"alchemist" <unknown@domain.com> wrote in message
          news:fsv379$r9t$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xHttpServer.rar
          >
          > The above is a link to a director based web server.
          > The included movie is a windows projector, and requires xpsp2,
          > win2003 or
          > newer OS.
          > The source is not included in the archive, but the plan is to be
          > made
          > available soon as the docs for the Xtra used are finished..
          > So, anyone wishing to test a Director based web server with lingo
          > serverside
          > scripting, just click the link.
          >
          > Note that this movie was primarily built to test i/o throughput and
          > stability - caching and overall usage of external scripts is not yet
          > optimized.
          > Buttons for adding firewall exception and nat mapping (through upnp)
          > are
          > also included, to facilitate internet/intranet testing.
          >
          >
          > Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated (contact info
          > can be
          > found in the first page of the included site).
          >
          > - alchemist.
          >

O wow! This puts the biggest grin on my face!
          Cool with Capitals. :)

Now what will I use this for... ehm... let me think ... :)

R.

• 2. Re: Director WebServer (not an April FD joke)
            Level 7
            I think this is fantastic. Is it possible to use this as a means for a
            group of people to establish a p2p connection (using the MUS.xtra)
            without the requirement of the person who is running the MUS.xtra as
            host (waitForNetConnection) to relay his IP address to the other peers?
            Could this also be used to remove the need for port forwarding in the host?
            • 3. Re: Director WebServer (not an April FD joke)
              Level 7
              > O wow! This puts the biggest grin on my face!
              > Cool with Capitals. :)
              >
              > Now what will I use this for... ehm... let me think ... :)
              >

Well, the ambitious part was to build the thing. Soon as the external script
              parser is finished, you'll be able to use asp/php like external lingo
              scripts with the server - mixing lingo code with html text that is, rather
              than using handler-based scripts. The interesting thing is that the first
              performance tests show that, when run as a service, this app performs better
              (faster response, lower cpu usage) than IIS - they both use the same engine,
              but the engine handles just a part of the http transactions.
              Now, if I believe that a Director based server has any chances of being an
              industry standard... If we are talking about enterprise servers, probably
              not, because of the luck of multithreaded scripting. But it could probably
              be a good solution for a personal/small business server, due to it's
              lightweight and easy of use. Furthermore, it can act as a supporting service
              : 1. realitme image generator - imaging lingo + 3D + flash + the xImage
              object (which is currently being built) that will allow compressing and
              streaming image files from memory. 2. sending emails. etc. And since, unlike
              e.g. IIS, the xHttpServer exposes everything to the developer, it is
              customizable to a great extent.

I always believed that Director is a great frontend. But it had limited OS
              accessing abilities and lucked some serious engines that would allow it's
              users to build professional stuff. That's what Xtrema's goal is. It has been
              under development for four years now, and, soon as it is finished, it will
              hopefully prove to be a tool that will boost Director to a whole new level:

http://xtrema.rtr.gr/xtrema.htm
              , and all these in a (currently) 264KB Xtra.

• 4. Re: Director WebServer (not an April FD joke)
                Level 7
                Hi Dave,

I don't exactly get the first question. But, in order to establish a p2p
                connection, the target ip must be known to the host.
                If the question is if the httpserver could be used to create a meeting
                point, then, sure it could, as could any cgi script.
                As for port forwarding, long as upnp is enabled and the router allows adding
                mappings via upnp, then sure. You can do this with a single xNatMap command.

As for mus, the xtra has built-in mus protocol support, so, it can be used
                to build an mus compatible server, that will perform much faster, will
                address several mus security issues, and will be able to run as a service.
                Developers that are interested in testing an mus-emulation movie soon as it
                is available (better yet updated) can contact me at info at rtr dot gr.

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
                news:ft1riq$2ft$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I think this is fantastic. Is it possible to use this as a means for a
                >group of people to establish a p2p connection (using the MUS.xtra) without
                >the requirement of the person who is running the MUS.xtra as host
                >(waitForNetConnection) to relay his IP address to the other peers? Could
                >this also be used to remove the need for port forwarding in the host?