6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 1:08 PM by Noel Carboni

how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?

Giovannivolontè Level 1

Hi

is there a way to reduce or remove color (or a range of color) predominance/dominance?

i did a search for a video on youtube , and i didn't find it

i tried with the eyedropper to select a color , solid color ,blend exclusion but nothing

thanks

cheers

• 1. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you are talking about an overall color cast, which should be corrected at a more fundamental level using Curves or Levels, I feel the best tool for this is Selective Color.

The other option is Hue/Saturation, but Selective Color has the huge advantage that it does not break up image integrity into pixelized or posterized zones. The downside is that the effects are more subtle, so the image must be "ballpark" right to begin with.

To get the most out of Selective Color you need to understand how the color wheel works and what complementary colors are. For instance, to reduce the intensity of red you increase cyan %. Another way to look at it is to think of it as a CMYK tool (although it works just as well in RGB).

• 2. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
            Giovannivolontè Level 1

hi Fosse

yes i guess i'm talking about color cast

in short color or more colors that i want to reduce or eliminate

• 3. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
              Giovannivolontè Level 1

To get the most out of Selective Color you need to understand how the color wheel works and what complementary colors are. For instance, to reduce the intensity of red you increase cyan %. Another way to look at it is to think of it as a CMYK tool (although it works just as well in RGB).

is there a cool program or photo to have always in my pc or laptop?

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm

thanks

• 4. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

It might help if you would describe your workflow a bit...

For example, if you're opening raw files, the best answer is to get the color temperature and tint right during the raw conversion.  One way to do that is to use the white balance dropper and click on something that's supposed to be neutral gray/white, but which has a color cast.

Another example, that's somewhat similar, if you've already opened a photo into Photoshop proper, is to do a Curves operation, press the Gray Point dropper icon, and click on something in the image that's supposed to be neutral gray/white.

-Noel

• 5. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
                  Giovannivolontè Level 1

For example, if you're opening raw files, the best answer is to get the color temperature and tint right during the raw conversion.  One way to do that is to use the white balance dropper and click on something that's supposed to be neutral gray/white, but which has a color cast.

on the white or gray?

by the way , for example i found in some photo yellow color predominance , like for example a black and white printed on a photography chemestry lab, there are color predominance they are not 100% black and white

but this is not the case

i 'm talking about color photos

• 6. Re: how can i reduce color predominance/dominance?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Click on any object that's supposed to be neutral colored, but which is showing a color cast.

ColorBalance1.jpg

ColorBalance2.jpg

See what sampling that color has done to the Temperature and Tint fields?

No go try the things you have read here, and you'll see how they can work in your situation.  Nothing says you have to pick perfectly the first time.  Click on things until you like the color you see.

-Noel