11 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2012 9:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Damaged DVD

Szymon Adamus

Hi. I have Adobe Premiere Elmenets 7. I had to reinstall my operating system so I have to reinstal Premiere Elements too, but I've just found out that my DVD is broken (no scratches, but it still doesn't work ).

How can I replace it or download digital version of this software?

Best regards,

Szymon.

• 1. Re: Damaged DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That version of Premiere Elements came out in 2007. It may be tough finding it without buying a used copy online.

And, in that case, it may be worth just buying version 10 for the upgrade price.

• 2. Re: Damaged DVD
            Szymon Adamus Level 1

Thanks for quick response.

I'm not planning to buy a new or used version. I don't need it. I have paid for this software, DVD degraded without any mechanical damage, so it should be replaced by the producer.

I just want to replace damaged DVD or download digital version from Adobe. Is that possible?  I would be very dissapointed if it wasn't.

• 3. Re: Damaged DVD

Have you contacted Adobe? You can reach them by clicking the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of any page on this web site.

If you believe that this is a warranty issue, you should contact them. We're just fellow users on this site.

• 4. Re: Damaged DVD
                Szymon Adamus Level 1

I'll try that. Thanks.

I was naive enough, to think that I would be as easy as registering my software, and downloading digital copy.

I'll try warranty.

• 5. Re: Damaged DVD

Meantime, you may want to consider that something else may be going on with your computer.

Factory-produced DVDs do not degrade over time. Their data is permanently pressed into the disc. So if your disc has no physical damage, I'd try it on another computer before I assumed the disc itself was at fault.

• 6. Re: Damaged DVD
                    Szymon Adamus Level 1

I dit try it - on 3 other computers

optical discs are not eternal. They degrate after time... but should not after 3 years. Still, it doesn't work

• 7. Re: Damaged DVD
                      Szymon Adamus Level 1

That's just awesome!

Support just told me that the only way is to buy a new version of Elements.

In another words, my DVD stopped working after 3 years, so I need to pay them 80 $ for a new version, that I don't need.

No proposition of DVD replacement, download of digital copy etc. Just "buy a new version". Great, just great

• 8. Re: Damaged DVD

You can pick up a used copy of version 7 on Amazon for $19.

I don't know what else to tell you. I've never heard of a factory-pressed DVD degrading in 4 1/2 years, but I suppose it's possible. Though I've also never heard of any software company offering a lifetime replacement guarantee on the installation disc either.

So unless you can find someone to loan you a copy of version 7 (since you still have the original serial number, you still own the product), I think you just have to buck up and pay the $20.

Sorry.

• 9. Re: Damaged DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have a program, like Nero, Roxio, or similar, I would try to Copy your DVD. That process often will yield better results, than trying to do the install from a "damaged" disc, and can often get past the damage.

If you do not have a utility, to Copy the disc, look into the great, free ImgBurn.

I would also recommend using premium blank media, such as Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden, or Falcon Pro.

I have seen many DVD's, that would not install (even brand new), that would produce a perfect Copy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Damaged DVD
                            Szymon Adamus Level 1

I've managed to make an ISO file, and install it from the virtual DVD Drive. Uff.

Thanks for the help guys.

• 11. Re: Damaged DVD
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news. That is the software equivilant of making a physical Copy of the DVD. Glad that it worked for you.

At this point, I would burn that ISO to a physical DVD-Data disc, for backup, in case you need it again. So long as you have software, that will allow you to "mount" that ISO, you will be good to go, if recovering from a crash, especially if it takes out your HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt