5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 7:39 PM by Nicol Simard

Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi

Felixp97

is adobe premier pro cs6 still working with amd fx zambrezi processors?

thx a lot.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yeah, but slower than molasses in winter, due to the AMD architecture.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi
            Dani.F

No problem for you if you are using a supported Cuda card.

Premiere uses Cuda for GPU acceleration, and reduces a lot the stress on the CPU. then AMD FX and Intel Core I7 will generate near equal performance.

and there is a trick, if you use your AMD FX in modular mode (change from the bios), the processor will convert from an 8 average performer cores, to very solid quad cores. and this is what is missing from benchmarks on the internet. and benchmarks doesn't use GPU acceleration, to show only the CPU performance.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Premiere uses Cuda for GPU acceleration, and reduces a lot the stress on the CPU. then AMD FX and Intel Core I7 will generate near equal performance.

Completely wrong!!! The best AMD system ranks #385, only preceded by 384 Intel systems. See: Benchmark Results

If you limit yourself to AMD FX systems only, the best AMD FX system ranks #445, preceded by 439 Intel systems and is nearly four times slower that a good Intel system, even with a CUDA card enabled. Even a properly tuned old i7-920 is around 3.5 times faster than the best AMD FX.

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi
                RjL190365 Level 4

You are correct that Premiere (Pro) uses CUDA for GPU acceleration. However, you completely missed the fact that there are many other operations in Premiere that make heavy use of the CPU - and that many of those operations make heavy use of the SSE 4.1 and SSE 4.2 instructions that the AMD CPUs either do not fully support (the Phenoms and earlier) or are relatively weak at handling (FX series).

For the record, one of the systems that are among the 439 Intel-powered systems that ranked higher than the highest-ranked FX CPU is a totally stock entry-level Sandy Bridge i5-2400 that's on a really cheapo and limited H61 motherboard that doesn't support overclocking at all whatsoever. As a result, the FX-8150 (at least in its current version) is just plain pound-foolish, especially when a cheaper and totally stock i5 beats that FX-8150 (and the FX-8150 is overclocked, at that!) in overall performance in Premiere.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 + AMD FX Zambrezi
                  Nicol Simard Level 1

I am sorry Dani, but you are way off the mark here. AMD microprocessors are totally useless when it comes to video editing as far as I am concerned. I'd be willing to take my rig against any similarly equipped AMD rig. But it will not happen because I do not believe anybody would be willing to blow any serious amount of money on a computer running with an AMD processor.