7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 4:32 AM by PECourtejoie

CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro

Laddi1003

What features of Premier Pro are lacking in CS6 video.  Is "Picture In Picture" in CS6?

• 1. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

I guess you could think in terms of Photoshop vs Elements, but it is easy enough to Google up the relative features. Premiere Pro CS6 has some very worthwhile new features like an image stabiliser for fixing shaky footage, and tools to fix some of the problems associated with DSLR video like the rolling shutter effect. There is one important thing to know before committing to Premiere Pro, and that is that makes much higher demands on hardware than Photoshop, although I think CS6 might have changed that to some extent. You should definitely do your research before taking that path.

http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/guides/Pr_CS6_WN_Reveal.pdf

• 2. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
            Laddi1003 Level 1

Thanks TD.  I've been wanting to create a video with Picture In Picture and saw that Premier Pro had that ability.  When I saw that video editing has been included in PS CS6 I was wondering (hoping) if PIP was included.  I will soon be upgrading from PS CS5 to CS6 and will find out then.  If I knew PIP was included I would upgrade immediately, but normally I like to wait till a new release is out for a while before upgrading.

• 3. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, laddi. the trial version of Photoshop is available.

I think that you could create a PIP as it supports layers, and you would just need to scale the top one and move it to the corner to get that effect... I'm wondering if using a smart object would not let you set up PIP, and you would just need to change the contents. (It might even be possible in premiere elements, did you download its trial version too?

But the timeline in Photoshop is not a replacement for Premiere Pro.

• 4. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

With CS6 Extended, you could also overlay some really cool animated 3D graphics.  Check out the 3D Text Video Animations tutorials over at Tip Squirrel.  3D Has really moved on with CS6.  As Pierre says, you could do PiP, or Photoshop graphic cut-outs over video, or 3D animations, or a combination of them all. 

Please bear in mind that I have not used CS6 video, but the above info is how I understand things to be from the info I have seen so far.

• 5. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
                  Laddi1003 Level 1

Thanks Trevor and Pierre.  I appreciate your tips. Those Tip Squirrels tutorials are great but my video experience is limited.  I have mastered "Windows Movie Maker" and "Crazy Talk"  (don't laugh) and that's a far cry from what I'll be getting into with CS6 Video.  Could you recommend a video basics tutorial to get me started, at least helping me with navigation.

• 6. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
                    Level 5

Laddi1003 wrote:

...I have mastered "Windows Movie Maker"...

Windows Movie Maker 2 (not the more recent "Live" version from Microsoft) may be more capable than Photoshop CS6. If you want to get into more serious editing without an upfront expense, consider Lightworks, now in beta and soon to have a full release in a few days.

• 7. Re: CS6 video editor vs Premier Pro
                      PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Laddi, I would look at the tutorials that Richard Harrington produces. He's into Photoshop+video apps...