5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 4:04 AM by connect49

Font Verdana in iBook?

connect49 Level 1

What can I do to present my iBook (ePub) in font Verdana? In my CSS there is only Verdana but it does not show up on my iPad.

Part of CSS:

@font-face {

font-family : Verdana;

font-style  : normal;

font-weight : normal;

src         : url("fonts/Verdana.otf");

}

@font-face {

font-family : Verdana;

font-style  : italic ;

font-weight : normal;

src         : url("fonts/Verdana-Italic.otf");

}

html, body {

font-family     : Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;

font-variant    : normal;

line-height     : 1.2;

font-weight     : normal;

font-style      : normal;

font-size       : .92em;

text-decoration : none;

text-align      : left;

color           : #000000;

}

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Font Verdana in iBook?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To learn about the very complex process of using a particular font in EPUB, read Liz Castro's books, notably "EPUB Straight to the Point"

www.elizabethcastro.com/epub

Also, read her blog for updates. It's not easy to do.

• 2. Re: Font Verdana in iBook?
            connect49 Level 1

Thanks Steve,

You suggested this boor earlier on another question. I read the book but it does not provide the answers I need. It tells about @font-face, but in the end it does not work the way I want it to work in a exporting proces for multiple iBooks. Hacking every individual ePub is not an option.

But it is strange in 2012, having Verdana on the iPad, having Verdana in InDesign and in my CSS and then seeing another font.

Best regards,

Cees

• 3. Re: Font Verdana in iBook?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

connect49 wrote:

..  it is strange in 2012, having Verdana on the iPad, having Verdana in InDesign and in my CSS and then seeing another font.

It certainly was not possible in 2011.

But: Verdana works just fine for me on the iPad, given the constraints of iBooks. Among those is the fact that you cannot (easily *) change the font for plain text -- that's, by design, always the font the user selects. So it does work for me because I tried it with some headers instead.

* "Not easily" because despite what you are claiming, Liz explains how it is possible -- don't know about the book but she describes it in one of her Pigs/Gourds/Wiki posts. I recommend not to use this 'hack', though, because users expect to be able to change the body text font.

• 4. Re: Font Verdana in iBook?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

... That said, you also have to allow for Apple's whimsical/random decisions in iBook updates.

Verdana was one of the user-selectable fonts from the very first version, but they took it out of the list in the latest update.

• 5. Re: Font Verdana in iBook?
                  connect49 Level 1

Thanks Jongware.

You may be right, but I have a client who pays me and wants iBooks in the company style and that happens to be Verdana.

And none of the workers is interested in changing a font, but want to see information in a layout which I designed in the best possible way.

I think I will have to wait for another update of iBooks and be ready for it when it comes (so no hacks).

Cees Geuze

information designer