6 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 6:57 PM by JSS1138 RSS

CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue

Drillthrall Community Member

I installed the new Cloud version of Premiere Pro through my monthly account.  I can open projects from Premiere Pro but if I try to open a project file from a folder, the icon is one of those generic icons.  I've tried using the Open with...and then browse to the Premiere Pro.exe file but it gave an error.  Now, when I try that same process it wants to open it using Adobe Reader X.  I deleted Adobe Reader X and tried again and now it wants to try to open my project files from my folder using Windows Media Center.  Huh?  Weird.  Any ideas anyone?

At first all of .prproj files received the Adobe Reader X icon.  Now they all are showing the Windows Media Encoder icon.  I can still open them all from within Premiere Pro just fine but would still like them to show the correct Adobe Premiere Pro icon show that I can double click them and they'll open in Premiere.

Harold House

• 1. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue
          Powered by Design Community Member

Right click one of the .prproj files and choose Properties.

Then where is says Opens with:  click the change button and then go to the folder where your Adobe Premiere is insalled and click the

Adobe Premiere Pro.exe file and it should reset it.

GLenn

• 2. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue

...tried that.  No go.  I see now that all of my AEP files are no longer associated with AE either.  For some reason all of my PS files are associated just fine with PS, but not my .prproj files or my .aep files.  It's a head scrather.  I've tried Windows own file assocation thingy but that didn't do it either.

Update:  I even downloaded and tried unassoc which is supposed to remove all file type assocations for the ones you want removed and that didn't do it either.  The .prproj still show the windows media center icon and open windows media center when I double click the .prproj file.  Crazy times indeed.

Harold House

• 3. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Harold,

Just to be sure, this is with Win7-64, and not Vista-64, or XP-64. Is that correct?

It sounds more like something is smurfed in your Windows, as the File Association is not taking.

Good luck, and wish that I had something to offer, but a question.

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue

Yes, it was/is a Win7-64 install.  Perhaps I'll try a install repair from the Adobe installer thingy.   See if that works.  Gasp.

Update:  The error message I get when I try to open one of my many CS3, CS4,or CS5 projects, be they PS, Premiere, or AE, by double clicking those older projects is this:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Not sure what to make of that error message as I uninstalled all my older CS Suite programs after I installed the new CS6 stuff.  I got the same error message when trying to open up an older PS project but instead of CS3 it said CS5.5 in the above error message.  Weird.

Harold House

• 5. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue

Ok, think I got it licked here.  I uninstalled and then used the Adobe Application Manager to reinstall PS, Premiere Pro and AE and that reassociated all of my project files with the corresponding Adobe program.  Phew!  Also, I didn't lose any of my prefs or workspace settings which was a nice surprise.  Back in business, baby!

Harold House

• 6. Re: CS6 Premiere Pro generic project icons issue
                    JSS1138 Community Member

I uninstalled all my older CS Suite programs after I installed the new CS6 stuff.

That did it.  Always uninstall older stiff before you install newer stuff, not after.