7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 10:37 AM by freewind-John

How do I play videos with premier elements 10

freewind-John

I have just uploaded some mixed photos and videos to my computer using adobe premier elements 10 but I cant play the videos. A box appears saying i need the compression de compression codex. Where do Iget these?

• 1. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder did this video come from and what format and resolution is it?

How did you "upload" it to your computer? Where did it originally come from?

Are you looking for a player or an editor? Premiere Elements is a video editor, not a video player. It's designed to interface with camcorder video -- not video from online sources, FRAPS or smartphone video.

• 2. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

It is very likely that those Videos contain a CODEC, that is not installed on your computer. The file extensions, such as AVI, MOV, WMV, etc., are but "wrappers," and so very much can be contained within those wrappers. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and tells you how to "peek inside the wrapper." That is why Steve is asking about the camcorder, that created the files - to find out what the CODEC is, that is inside the wrapper.

If the files use a CODEC, that PrE can use (very many, but not even close to all), it might be as simple as locating that CODEC, downloading and installing it, then rebooting. For more info on CODEC's in general, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
              freewind-John Level 1

Hi Bill, Thanks for the suggestions, I am trying to edit videos that I took so I can post them. This is all pretty new to me so any information however basic is appreciated.

John Stames

• 4. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
                freewind-John Level 1

Hi Steve,  I am trying to edit videos that I took to post to my new you tube acct.. I am a complete novice so I appreciate your suggestions.

I also received another reply with information that may help. I know that it is really just a matter of pushing the right buttons in the right sequence.  No problem, right?  I am going to work through it.

I believe I got a box that said that i didn't have the right compression or de-compression program installed or that I needed to install some other part of premier elements to continue. When I went back to finish loading the software I got notification that the software was already loaded and was asked if I wanted to replace it. I am getting ready to depart for my summer job in Nome Alaska as a gold diver. and I will be shooting some underwater video that I would like to post. When I get the time to open a file and try it again, I will pay more attention to exactly what notification I get and send you a more specific email.

Thanks, John Stames 

• 5. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

To learn PrE quickly, and correctly, so that you are up and editing in the shortest amount of time, I highly recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Training Series, linked in this list of RESOURCES. He covers all of the basics, in great detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And PLEASE tell us what model camcorder you shot your video with and what format and resolution it is.

We can't help you with  your specific situation unless you answer our questions.

• 7. Re: How do I play videos with premier elements 10
                      freewind-John Level 1

Thanks, I've shot videos with 3 different cameras, I'll get back with the information. I'm leaving for my summer job in Nome

Alaska in 3 days. I'll be shooting underwater videos while dredging for gold. .  I may not get back to you for a week or so. After I get situated I'll get organized and well take it from there Thanks again. John Stames