4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2013 2:05 AM by sidlerm

Why is Premiere Pro CS5.5 scrambling the Audio Track on some of my Canon DLSR clips?

tbarnesfilms2012

I've recently started editing a Wedding, and realised that in the Source Window the clips audio doesn't match up with the visual - clips play perfectly, but the audio cuts out, is scrambled, and only rarely is in sync with the video.

This has never happened before. I shot all the video on Canon 60D and 550D. The original clips all play perfectly, with matching audio, in quicktime or any other application when opened.

I'm editing on an iMac 27" running Mac OSX 10.7.4, with 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 and 16GB ram. I am running Adobe Production Premium CS5.5, Premiere Pro 5.5.2 with all the updates up to date.

I did import the folder system from Finder into After Effects CS5.5 (in order to keep all the sub-folder system in tact) and then copied them into Premiere, in order to save time. Could this be the cause of my grief?

Anyone know any fixes?

There aren't any AIFF's in the project at all.

Cheers,

Thomas

• 1. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5.5 scrambling the Audio Track on some of my Canon DLSR clips?
          ultraluminous

I am having the exact same audio issues with footage I shot.  I spent months merging my dual-system audio to the camera video.  In some cases, we had a high-quality camera audio track, which I kept.

Now all the camera audio is out of sync.  I have been reading that Premiere Pro as issues with tracking audio.  It is unbelievable.  This software has over a dozen versions behind it; there is no way it should lose audio tracking.  And I have also read that this isn't even fixed in CS6, which I upgraded to but can't use for other reasons (see other post).

For the record, I am editing AVCHD out of an FS100

System is:

6 core Intel

24 GB RAM

Quadro 4000

3 TB RAID

Win7 Ultimate SP1

Production Premium CS5.5 & 6 (audio issues with both)

• 2. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5.5 scrambling the Audio Track on some of my Canon DLSR clips?
            kecorcoran

I had the same problem with some footage I shot on Saturday. The footage was shot with the Panasonic AF100, with audio in the LPCM format.

After I ingested the footage with Prelude, some of the later clips were badly garbled. At random intervals, the audio would "skip ahead" and lose sync. The audio would finish early and the there would be silence for the second half of the clip. All of the early clips were fine, the later ones were garbled.

I was able to use another take where the audio was fine, but I was certainlty worried. Was my camera malfunctioning? Was it an SD card error? Was it a Premiere bug?

I finally got a chance to revisit this today. The data was still on the card, so I put it back to the camera and played it back. The audio was fine. So it was definitely Premiere.

In Premiere, I deleted the Media Cache (Edit->Preferences->Media) and while I was at it I selected "Save Media Cache Files Next To Originals" so in the future it would be easier to figure out which cache files went with which clips.

After Premiere reconformed the audio, the problem diasppeared.

I've been using this camera with Premiere for the last year, and have been using Premiere for many years and have never seen this issue in the past.  So I assume it's a new quirk, something we'll have to keep alert to in CS6.

• 3. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5.5 scrambling the Audio Track on some of my Canon DLSR clips?
              tbarnesfilms2012 Level 1

Thanks for the advice re: Media Cache Files. I had another work-around for my current project, and wasn't game to try anything new in the middle of it. I will use this approach from now on though.

Cheers,

Thomas

• 4. Re: Why is Premiere Pro CS5.5 scrambling the Audio Track on some of my Canon DLSR clips?
                sidlerm

Had the same problem and as Save Media Cache was already clicked by me, I deleted the cache file. Adobe regenerated all right.

Seeing the dates of your posts, I'm a little bit surprised that this issue hasn't been fixed by Adobe by now