7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 10:41 AM by TL2121

is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?

TL2121 Level 1

Hey guys

Read a while ago-- I think it was on here maybe Harm and also wikipedia (I'll trust Harm's info more than the wikipedia site)- that DDR3 Ram will only operate as DDR3 if it is installed in 3's (3 or 6 sticks either 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24 GB RAM total) if it is installed with 2 sticks or 4 sticks--(which seems like the more customary thing now a days) and not in multiples of 3 the ram even though it may be DDR3 will ioperate as DDR2. In summation if you want DDR2 ram go with 4, 8, 16, 32GB-- but if you want the DDR3 speed go with 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24GB--Is this correct? if so would 16GB of DDR2 be better than 12 GB of DDR3? is DDR3 really that much faster than DDR2?

Please if anyone could clear my confusion up on this topic- would be much appreciated

Thanks

Tony

• 1. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, but here is the deal:

There are currently three kinds of platforms in use:

• 1155 platform with dual channel architecture. You use DDR3 memory sticks in multiples of two. So either 2 or 4 sticks.
          • 1366 platform with triple channel architecture. You use DDR3 memory sticks in multiples of three. So either 3 or 6 sticks.
          • 2011 platform with quad channel architecture. You use DDR3 memory sticks in multiples of four. So either 4 or 8 sticks.

DDR2 is way outdated and only used on antique platforms like the 775 socket or old raid controllers as cache memory.

Depending on the size of your sticks, you can do the math as to what amount of memory you will end up with: #sticks x size = memory.

• 2. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
            RjL190365 Level 4

Tony,

DDR3 remains DDR3 regardless of the number of sticks installed. What a lot of people (including yourself) confused is the number of memory controller channels as types of DDR technology (which are obviously completely different from one another). In addition, DDR3 RAM is both physically and electrically incompatible with DDR2 RAM: DDR3 sticks will not even fit DDR2 slots, nor will DDR2 sticks even fit DDR3 slots. And even if the two types were physically compatible, one would not even have worked at all with the other due to different electrical characteristics.

Harm Millaard explained this very well.

• 3. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
              TL2121 Level 1

Harm

thanks for your response-- so DDR3 operates at DDR3 speed regardless of the sticks- just what i wanted to know-- just curious is dual channel architecture DDR3 good enough for Premiere? or would you recommend at least triple channel DDR3 ram for Premiere Pro CS6 and After effects?

Thanks for your time

Tony

• 4. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
                TL2121 Level 1

RJ

thanks for your info-exactly what I wanted to know- Think you guys have cleared up my confusion-- much appreciated-- do you have any input on the question I posed to Harm above? What do you recommend in terms of Ram for Premiere Pro?

Thanks for your time

Tony

• 5. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Basically you have these options:

• 1366 platform, which is outdated now, so not advised.
                  • 1155 platform, which is a good entry level platform or even a mid-level platform with the proper CPU.
                  • 2011 platform, which is the high-end level platform, but at a price.

See PPBM6 Planning a new system

• 6. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

It depends on the CPU. No current generation CPU uses triple-channel memory these days, especially since the only ones that use triple-channel are of the previous generation (the effectively EOL, or End-Of-Life, LGA 1366). Current-generation CPUs use either dual-channel (LGA 1155) or quad-channel (LGA 2011), where the LGA 2011 CPUs are significantly more robust than their LGA 1155 cousins (especially at stock speeds).

• 7. Re: is 16 GB DDR3 really DDR2 and does it really matter?
                      TL2121 Level 1

Great info guys!

Thanks much