4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 1:56 PM by [Jongware]

CS4 Find/Change - Holding format?

NTC Ann Level 1

When we first switched from Quark to InDesign, you could do a find change but you could not do a find change and keep the format in InDesign. For example, if you wanted the word to stay bold italic... InDesign could not do that. I know it's been a long time but has that changed. Is there a way to do a find/change and keep the format so you don't have to search out each word individually? Thank you.

• 1. Re: CS4 Find/Change - Holding format?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are both find and change formatting areas where you can specify styles or local formatting.

• 2. Re: CS4 Find/Change - Holding format?
            NTC Ann Level 1

Hi Peter. I see there is a box that says find and one that says change. I am sorry... but I don't know how to use them. Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: CS4 Find/Change - Holding format?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Click the upper icon next to either box (it looks like a magnifying glass and a T) to open the formatting options, click the trash can icon below it to remove any that are set.

• 4. Re: CS4 Find/Change - Holding format?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You type the text to find in the Find box and what it should change to in the Change box ... :-)

By default, InDesign ought not to do anything with the formatting in the text -- neither a specific "find" (such as just finding text that is bold), nor a "change" (such as changing a regular word to italics). You can *opt* to but then you need to press the "More options" button -- a self-explanatory label. Pressing it will reveal the Find and Change Formatting fields, where you can specify either or none to be found/changed.

... It's pretty straightforward, really.

>When we first switched from Quark to InDesign, you could do a find change but you could not do a find change and keep the format in InDesign.

Do you remember what version that was? Surely it must have been more than a decade ago -- pre-CS. I've never seen that.