11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 2:01 PM by b6878 RSS

How can I read CPI files?

LaciG Community Member

I need help!

I regularly transfer and edit (with CS5 PrPro 64-bit) the MTS files from the HS card in the Panasonic AG-HMC150P camcorder. Recently I needed some clip information that are stored on the same card in directory PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > CLIPINF in files consecutively numbered from 00000.CPI. I couldn't find any way to access those information, even after extensively consult Adobe help files and the U2U forums, and also the Internet. (I read some comments as to Premiere Elements 10 and Premiere Professional CS6 can do this - but I have PrPro CS5.)

Thank you very much,

Laci.

• 1. Re: How can I read CPI files?
          J. Simon Community Member

You don't.  Hardware and software that needs them does.

What do you suppose they contain that you need?

• 2. Re: How can I read CPI files?
            LaciG Community Member

I would need the settings what I used on the camcorder for that clip (e.g. auto or manual, shutter speed, etc., something similar to what a picture properties contain for still pictures.)

• 3. Re: How can I read CPI files?
              shooternz Community Member

From the Project Window

Open the Metadata Display in Premiere.

Go to the Exif section and choose what you want it to display in the columns.

• 4. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                LaciG Community Member

I have to transfer the metadata to the project first. (Right now, the meata data only have the information that went with the MTS files) I will report if I could find what I needed tomorrow. Thanks.

• 5. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                  LaciG Community Member

Well, I should change the title of my original question to "HOW CAN I IMPORT METADATA FROM THE AVCHD FILE STRUCTURE TO PRPRO (CS5)?"

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I opened the Metadata window and obviously, I found it 90% empty. (I assume that only the clip information get imported together with the MTS video files.)

I started reading (a couple of very information rich) Adobe articles about importing metadata and using them in PrPro:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html, and http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSE2397406-3FEB-43df-868D-68EB20BBC021.ht ml#WSA903689B-6014-4582-9696-053BB968E16C.

But here I am stuck: although the Panasonic AVCHD data structure (see below) contains xmp files (which supposed to contain the xml files) together with the MTS video files, PrPro cannot import them (tried Import and Bridge, didn’t try Capture though). Whenever trying to import the xmp (or CPI = CLIPINF) files, it displays the following error message: “File format not supported” . (Among the importable file types is the Final Cut Pro xml but Panasonic doesn't generate it.)

Questions:

1. Is there any way to extract the xml files from the xmp files (or “convert” the xmp files into xml files)?
                  2. Does the PrPro CS6 version import the Panasonic AVCHD xmp files?

Panasonic AVCHD file structure:

BDMV------------| - CLIPINF

| - PLAYLIST

| - STREAM --------------------| - 00000.MTS

| - INDEX.BDM                 | - 00000.xmp

| - MOVIEOBJ.BDM          | - 00001.MTS

| - 00001.xmp

Etc.

I apologize for all these questions, but I couldn't find the way to import the metadata. Thanks for the help, Laci.

P.S. I found two check boxes in Preferences > Media: 1. Write XMP ID to Files on Import, 2. Enabvle Clip and XMP Metadata Linking. These are checked. Still I have very little data in the Metadata window.

• 6. Re: How can I read CPI files?

I couldn't find the way to import the metadata.

You don't.  Like I said earlier, the hardware or software will make use of those files as appropriate, not the user.  If PP is showing nothing in those fields, then it's very likely there is nothing in those fields.  Just because they're their doesn't mean every camera will make use of them.

• 7. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                      LaciG Community Member

I am making some progress. I downloaded the AVCCAM Viewer software from the Panasonic web site. This software is used to view and preserve the metadata recorded by a Panasonic AVCHD camcorder and also to add metadata to the clip. (The only issue is that it is for a 32-bit machine - that's why I haven't had it installed until now. But according to some users, it would still work on a 64-bit machine.) A very useful (detailed, professional) help for handling metadata can be found in this discussion post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3436374#. Thanks for the help. Laci.

• 8. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                        LaciG Community Member

I thank again shooterntz and Jim for their help that started me in the right direction. In the last couple of days, reading (and re-reading) the publications and discussions I have referenced in my posts above, I realize that this is a quite complex subject. I learned about clip-instance metadata, XMP file metadata, tools to “read” and edit metadata (among others Panasonic’s 32-bit AVCCAM Viewer that works on 64-bit machines), metadata used for selecting/searching clips, preloaded metadata to be automatically recorded by the camcorder (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3436374), extract metadata – date, time – to insert in the clip, etc.)

However, for my own original and simple purpose using Panasonic AVCHD recording format I learned

1. the importance of preserving the file structure
                        2. how to access the camera settings (PrPro Window > Metadata > File > EXIF)
                        3. from several discussions on VideoHelp.com Forum that Panasonic’s AVCHD camcorders (and still cameras) do not record metadata (http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/327558-Metadata?highlight=panasonic+avchd+metadata).

Thanks,

Laci.

• 9. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                          b6878

Hi LaciG and thanks for posting your findings. I have a Panasonic FZ150 that records AVCHD and has all the same folders. I wanted to copy videos into differnt storage folders on my PC but did not want to loose anything. In your item#1 above, you say it's important to preserve the file [folder?] structure. Yet in your item#3, you belive there is nothing useful in the cpi files. Anyhow, based on your understanding, could I just store the mts files by themselfs (discarding everyting else). Then when I needed to access the video, just insert the single mts file into a mock directory structure? Certainly storing a single file for each vid would be easier.

• 10. Re: How can I read CPI files?

could I just store the mts files by themselfs (discarding everyting else).

It's not a good idea.  PP works best when you keep everything as is.

• 11. Re: How can I read CPI files?
                              b6878 Community Member

Ok, thanks. Better safe than sorry.