14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 8:08 PM by Erick Cedch

Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files

buraihan Level 1

I'm having some problems in a cineform based project. I am just using stock Premiere CS6 and have Cineform Studio premium installed. I use a 2008 mac Pro, 24gb RAM, stock cheapest nvidia card (not CUDA compatible), with Lion installed. I think that my sequence settings are set to DSLR quality matching the resolution of the cineform files. There is a chance that they are Desktop sequences though. I started this project a while back on CS5 and made my sequences there.

The problem is that 2 out of 3 times that I open Premiere, the timeline clip thumbnails dont draw and when I playback the program monitor is black. Audio is playing back ok, but the cineform clips on the timeline dont work. If I try to open a clip in the source monitor, it updates the file in the project bin to show "Media offline". The media is definitely there and in the Premiere is linking to. If I try to close Premiere after experiencing the above it won't close and I have to force close it. Only a system reboot will make Premiere open correctly after that.

There are times when the project opens just fine though. I can't see a pattern. If it were a Cineform problem then I wouldnt expect Premiere to be crashing like it is. That is why I am reporting it here.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
          lasvideo Level 4

When trying to export media from PrP, AE or AME to the Cineform codec, it always always make my system lock up and crash. I avoid it like the plague.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
            0DAN0 Level 1

CS6 support from CineForm will be out first week of June (8-10 days away.)  You can move the  MediaCoreCineFrom components form CS5 or CS5.5 into the CS6 folders to gain support today.

For CS6 Mac:

Library:Application Support:Adobe:Common:Plug-ins:CS5.5:MediaCore:

- copy all of the CF*.* files

To:

Library:Application Support:Adobe:Common:Plug-ins:CS6:MediaCore:

The presets will come with the new installer in the CineForm Studio Premium update.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
              lasvideo Level 4

If CS 6 support is anything like the disasterous CS5 I expereinced, no thanks. DNxHD is a much better option. IT DOESNT CRASH ALL THE TIME  ;-)

• 4. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                0DAN0 Level 1

lasvideo, talk to support, as they are no crashes in the codec, so you simply need some technical help.  Help is all I was trying to offer the thread poster, who's issue has no relation to yours -- he has an existing CineForm project and needs to have CineForm components installed in CS6 to give him capability.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                  lasvideo Level 4

My apologies ODANO. I admire you wanting to help others out   

I spent an hour on the phone trouble shooting this problem with the programmers about 8 months ago. They assured me they would fix it and get back in touch with me. They never fixed it and never got back in touch with me. I had to contact them and complain about the problem a second time 8 moths later  and they just have ignored the situation completely. They are a very amateur operation which has now been absorbed into Go Pro. I advise any serious professionals to avoid Cineform and use DNxHD.

My frustration with Cineform in no way reflects upon you. Have a good day 

Early Mac Pro 2008 3,1

2 - 3. 4 Xeons

24 GB ram

Quadro 4000

Maxx Digital raid array (750MB/sec.)

Lion 10.7.4   

• 6. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                    0DAN0 Level 1

I'll look up you case if you could provide your full name.  We simply don't have reports like yours, i.e. extremely rare.  I sorry that we weren't able to solve your issue.  If you already have a license, please retest when the new release comes out next week.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                      lasvideo Level 4

My name is Tom Daigon. I spent time troubleshooting with Jake and I think, Brian. I was trying out Go Pro Studio and after that disasterous experience I removed it from my  computer. I appreciate the thought, but DNxHD has earned my trust and is widely used as a mastering codec among video professionals, so I am not interested in pursuing this any further.Thanks for the offer though 

Early Mac Pro 2008 3,1

2 - 3. 4 Xeons

24 GB ram

Quadro 4000

Maxx Digital raid array (750MB/sec.)

Lion 10.7.4    

• 8. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                        lasvideo Level 4

Still haveent heard a peep from Odano. So much for Customer Supprt in CS6 from Cineform. Best to avoid this software on a Mac.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                          0DAN0 Level 1

You indicated that you weren't interested in a follow up, saying you have moved, so your message is confusing.  However, the problem you reported to support has since been solved.

• 10. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                            lasvideo Level 4

Yes, you are correct. I did say I wasnt intrested in pursuing. My apologies.

As to the problem with Cineform crashing  CS6 as I described earlier. When was it solved?

• 11. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                              0DAN0 Level 1

This was solved when we officially supported CS6 in the version v1.2 release, which was on June 8th.

• 12. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                                lasvideo Level 4

Thank you, that is good to know. I am switching from the Mac to the PC this week . Hopefully Cineforms status will be the same on that platform as well.

My issue was more related to feeling dismissed and uncommunicated to by Jake and Dave when I initally tried to help the identify and solve this problem. It struck me as very unprofessional, but I am glad to hear that 10 months later things are fixed.

• 13. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                                  buraihan Level 1

Just to follow up on my initial problem, the issue was that my sequences were set to use cineform to render preview files, but at that time Cineform still wasnt a supported encoding codec. I changed my settings to use mpeg previews and all the issues went away. Also, since that time I believe that the Cineform guys have added full Cineform support, though I havent tested rendering anything to cineform yet.

For me on the mac, editing with cineform is very smooth, and jumping back and forth between First Light for color correction and Premiere for editing is working great.

• 14. Re: Premiere CS6 not playing Cineform files
                                    Erick Cedch Level 1

Let me tell you that is not solved yet. I  just have installed cinefom studio premium trial to work with cineform raw files converted from BMCC CinemaDNG footages and it stil crash... i cant export... i cant even convert in media encoder... cineform is useless...  Is very sad....

Sorry my bad english!