10 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 8:46 PM by nycboy25

Story Editor in CS4 will not work?

nycboy25 Level 1

My story editor  command will not work in my CS4 edition.  My current doc. has solid black lines that stretch across the whole page & delete will not remove them.  How do I get rid of them while other text is shown above these same lines??

• 1. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

A screen shot will help, it hard to say how your document actually look like without seeing.

• 2. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
            Michael Gianino Level 4

Does the story editor work in other docs? If so, you probably have some corruption in this one. You can try exporting as IDML (choose a different name or location so as to not write over the original, just in case) and re-open the exported file. This can sometimes clear out some junk in a file.

If you can't get the story editor in other docs, you might try trashing your ID preferences.

• 3. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
              nycboy25 Level 1

Great idea, but how does a non-geek do so???

I need ideas on how to cross/connect between my own .indd file & this web-site....this is all new to me...

I've no idea of how to connect between the two medias on-line....any advice/suggestions would help....

Message was edited by: nycboy25

• 4. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                nycboy25 Level 1

Will definatel try this moving between type of docs... once i figure out how to translate from .indd to whatever file name I may be offered...

Would I have to export to a brand new doc or is it possible to just move between current docs????

• 5. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

I'm not clear what you mean to say by those two replies, but let me give some detail about mine.

If you open the file and go to File>Export, it will probably default to PDF as the format. Change the format in the field to InDesign Markup (IDML). If you are including the .indd file-name extension on your files, the extension will change to .idml, so there is no need to change the file name or location in order to ensure that you don't replace your .indd file with a .idml file. I only added that because some people don't use the extensions in their file names.

Once you have exported the idml file, close the .indd file and open the .idml file with InDesign. Although .idml was created for  different purpose, it has as a side-effect the ability to remove some information from a file that may be causing problems. If you still have the problem, the solution I suggested didn't work the way it sometimes does, so sorry for that, but it's worth a try. If it does solve your problem, you will want to save this document. You will see that it opens as an untitled document. Give it a name, select a location, and it will be the file that you will continue working on. You may want to keep the original just in case, so a different or modified name or location for the new file will keep you from writing over the original.

If you click on the link in my original reply, it will take you to an Adobe page that will tell you how to trash your InDesign preferences. Preferences is just a file that InDesign reads to make the program fit the needs of individual users, and like any file, it can become damaged. Replacing the preferences file can sometimes fix a badly-running program, so that may be worth a try also.

• 6. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                    nycboy25 Level 1

Hey Michael:  Many thanks for your great idea...i think it finally worked after two or three attempts...at least my extra lines are finally gone & not coming back every time i touch "enter"....

Now maybe i can get back to doing a new edit job & actually creating a new copy to move forward with...

One problem that did come up tho...all my graphics have become gray squares ???

I can probably re/do them if i have to, but i've never seen this before...any ideas what this might be or where it might have come from...other then being a .idml file instead of a .indd file???

Again, many thanks for all the great ideas...i've got to come here more often.....

• 7. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                      nycboy25 Level 1

Hey Manish:  I love your idea for a screen shot of my doc...but i have no idea on how to do so???

Any ideas/suggestions on such would be very helpful for us non/geeks out here...

• 8. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                        Michael Gianino Level 4

nycboy25 wrote:

Hey Manish:  I love your idea for a screen shot of my doc...but i have no idea on how to do so???

Any ideas/suggestions on such would be very helpful for us non/geeks out here...

ss.jpg

Click on the camera icon, click the browse button, navigate to the file of the screenshot, hit the Insert Image button.

• 9. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

nycboy25 wrote:

My current doc. has solid black lines that stretch across the whole page & delete will not remove them…

...at least my extra lines are finally gone & not coming back every time i touch "enter"…

From the question in your initial posting, I was picturing the solid black line you mentioned as a paragraph rule, but your last post has me wondering. Is the black line in this screenshot what you meant?

ss.jpg

I thought it might be when you mentioned "touching enter." There is some confusion about what the "enter" key is. Mac keyboards have a wide key labeled Return. This acts the way the carriage return key did on the typewriter. It's job is to begin a new paragraph, and if you turn on Show Hidden Characters in the Type menu, it will look like ¶. Mac keyboards that have a 10-key pad will have a tall key labeled Enter. When used, it creates a Column Break (also available in Type>Insert Break Character>Column Break), which will move all text after the cursor to the next available column in a multi-column text frame. If you are working in a single-column text frame, or the final column in a multi-column frame, it will move all copy after the cursor to the next available frame in a chain of linked frames. If there is no linked frame that follows, the text after the cursor will become Overset Text, which means it is in the story, but not currrently placed on any page. If you view the story in the Story Editor, overset text will display below a black line. Since you mentioned a black line and the story editor in your first post, I have to wonder if this is what you mean.

The confusion comes from the fact that many PC keyboards  label the Return key as Enter, so people sometimes say enter when they mean return. And, to further confuse things, both keys can sometimes be both set to the same function, whether intentionally or accidentally, so hitting the correct key will sometimes give the wrong result. If what I have in my screenshot is what you were originally talking about, then nothing is wrong with your computer or InDesign. You just used the wrong key.

I'm not sure if you are up-to-speed on InDesign, but not really a techie when it comes to the computer, or if you just know enough about InDesign to do a few things. If you would like to learn more about InDesign, Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide for InDesign is recommended by many users on this forum. (Here is the book for CS4.)

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Story Editor in CS4 will not work?
                            nycboy25 Level 1

Hey Michael: 

Many thanks for all your great ideas & possibilities of what's wrong...I think your first idea got the majority of what was wrong & maybe even got rid of all my extra lines....

The return/Enter key thing has always been fun since i've worked on both PC & Mac & always have to think first on where it's proper to strike first...

Now if only i can find the book you mention & i'll be at home for now.... i hope

Again...many thanks....