12 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 6:30 AM by MadManChan2000

ACR7/PV2012

Yammer Level 4

I don't think I've read an explanation of what the new process (PV2012) actually brings. Can anyone explain?

I understood that, with PV2010, the change was necessary for new ways of demosaicing raw data to be compatible with new noise reduction methods and lens correction algorithms. But why another new version?

• 1. Re: ACR7/PV2012
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

PV2010 mainly changed the micro-detail rendering (sharpenin and noise reduction), while 2012 is more about tonal control. The new process version is necessry because the algorithms around Shadows, Highlights and Clarity are quite different and not compatible wit the old controls.

• 2. Re: ACR7/PV2012
            Yammer Level 4

Thanks, Dorin. Exactly what I needed to know.

• 3. Re: ACR7/PV2012
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

There are also new local control channels in PV 2012, such as white balance, noise reduction, and moire reduction, and defringing.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                b2martin_a Level 2

PV2012 allows you to render images from the same RAW file that apperas to have a wider dynamic range.  I see major improvements for images shot with flash where it's possible to even out the lighting where they look more like images without flash.  The same is true for images shot in high contrast enviroments. 

• 5. Re: ACR7/PV2012

With ACR 7.1 and Lightroom 4.1 (with PV 2012), there is now also the ability to read and process (render) HDR images, i.e., floating-point images with 16, 24, or 32 bits per channel.

• 6. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

Eric, does any of the processing actually get done in floating point, and if so, is any of that being farmed out to the video card?

I ask, because there's this big ongoing flap over why some systems render very slowly - like 10x slower than other systems.  Mostly the discussion is centered around LightRoom, but it's also happening for some folks with Camera Raw.  Things take literally seconds to update on the screen on otherwise fast systems.

One of my own observations is that certain video cards advertise that they support GPU acceleration of floating point formats, when in fact it's pretty clear they drop back to some kind of (much slower) CPU emulation inside the display driver.

-Noel

• 7. Re: ACR7/PV2012

Yes, some of the image processing is done in floating point.

No, the image processing is not currently performed on the graphics card.

• 8. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                        Kieren13

The features of CS6/ACR7 mentioned in this thread are new to me, and very interesting. It is making me think twice about skipping this version.

• 9. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Kieren13 wrote:

...It is making me think twice about skipping this version.

Yeah, ya know it would be a shame if you didn't at least download the demo and test ACR 7.x. Not for nothing, but it's your image quality that will suffer...

• 10. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                            Level 5

Personally, I felt that ACR 7 alone is worth the upgrade price, so I bought CS6.

• 11. Re: ACR7/PV2012
                              Kieren13 Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Kieren13 wrote:

...It is making me think twice about skipping this version.

Yeah, ya know it would be a shame if you didn't at least download the demo and test ACR 7.x. Not for nothing, but it's your image quality that will suffer...

I'll give it a shot. It's not like I don't want it.

• 12. Re: ACR7/PV2012

Note that there are also new features of ACR 7 which are independent of PV 2012.  (In the above discussion, in keeping with the original topic, I only discussed PV 2012-related items.)