20 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 4:36 PM by the_wine_snob

No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9

River Dean

All has been fine with my Elements 9, until recently when all the images of my imported clips were been replaced by the dreaded red "Media Offline" screen.  After trying to build a new project to see if the problem persists, it did.  Only instead of getting the red screen, the audio will import but the video will not come over with it.  In the clip preview screen, I even see the audio graphing lines, but no images. 

Here are my specifics:  Toshiba Satellite P500 Laptop, Win. 7 64-bit, CPUs: Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53Ghz, 4.00GB RAM, (2 Hitachi internal hard drives: C & E), Nvidia GeForce G210M Graphics.  I've updated the Nvidia driver to 296.10, and am current on all Windows updates, as well as updated Quick Time

C drive: 3.59GB free of 285GB

E drive: 110 GB free of 298GB

Other info: 

1) I built the original projects on C drive, but moved them to E with seemingly no problem (however I'm curious about this "mapping" topic that I've noticed in reading other answers.  I don't know about that and whether or not C and E are properly connected.)  But as I said, for a few weeks, all work in E seemed fine.  Plus, I've tried pulling media from both C as well as E and still only get audio.

2) there is no camera involved, just trying to "Get Media" (which in this case is AVI movie clips) from hard drives files.

3) the only changes I can think of that have been made in the time between things working and not was installation of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning software

You won't offend me if you copy and paste an answer, or give me a link to a previous similar question, as I'm sure I'm not the first who's experienced this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dean

• 1. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you serious? 3 gigs of free space on your C drive? If so, you're lucky Windows even operates.

Microsoft recommends that you ideally have 15% of your C drive free. I recommend at least 20-30 gigs of free space on your C drive to run Premiere Elements with any stability -- and the more free space the better.

You may have other things going on, but I'd address that issue first. Without adequate free space, the program can not fully deploy.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
            River Dean Level 1

Yeah, you're right, Steve.  I know I've been living on the razor's edge with the C drive space.  I'll address that ASAP.  Just a quick follow-up if I may:  is it possible to run Elements entirely from another drive other than C, even if it meant a re-install?  Forgive my ignorance if that is a basic computing question that everyone ought to know.  This is just my first experience with dual HDs and I didn't know if E drive was just a passive drive for storage or could be as active as C and run programs.  Guess I'm just wondering if, until I expand the C space, I had the option of moving everything over to E. 

Again, forgive me if this question makes you want to hit your head against a wall.

• 3. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Based on previous discussions in several Adobe forums... do NOT try and install PreElements (or Premiere Pro, if you ever decide to go to that program) on anything other than the C drive

>C drive: 3.59GB free of 285GB

Do you have a lot of data files you can move to your 2nd hard drive?

• 4. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

At least one user here, Neale, is running PrE from other than the C:\, but in very general terms, Adobe programs really like to be on the C:\. Maybe Neale will weigh in, in case there is something important, that he'll have to share. This would mean an uninstall, reinstall to accomplish.

As for the Media Offline, there are some common causes (but not all possibilities) outlined in this ARTICLE.

As for only the Audio coming through (no video), the most common cause for this is a CODEC that PrE cannot work with. Happens with DivX/Xvid, and several others. However, it sounds like you WERE able to play the Video Stream in those same files earlier. Is that correct?

Just for our information, can you give us the full specs. of those AV files?

It could be that somewhere, the necessary CODEC for the Video (AV files use two CODEC's - one for Video and one for Audio) got lost, or corrupted. If one has already Imported the file into a Project, and then the necessary CODEC is corrupted, they might not get the "File corrupted, or CODEC missing... " error message. However, they would almost always get that error, when they attempt to Import such a file later on. An exception would be a CODEC, such as the DivX/Xvid, which will just not show the Video, or show it very poorly.

I also agree completely with Steve on the necessary free-space required, and even bump the total needed up. As a HDD nears 70% of capacity, performance declines. Beyond 70%, the decline is accelerated. At 100% the likelihood of total and catastrphoic failure exists.

Besides the HDD space for PrE to run, and edit, Windows will use a certain amount of the free-space for the Virtual Memory/Page File.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                  River Dean Level 1

Thanks, John.  I will heed your warning and stay on C.  And yes, a clean-up of C is one of my next steps.

Dean

• 6. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                    River Dean Level 1

Hey Bill,  thanks for the great info.  Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

1) from the info in the ARTICLE link you sent, I DID move assets from C to E, however all seemed to moved ok as I was able to do a few days work in E without a problem.  For the record, though, I did NOT move assets via Project Archive as I have read from others I should have done.  But again, all seemed to be okay for a while.

2) I've never received any kind of "Error" message such as the "Where is file _____avi?" that you mentioned.

3)  Your mention of the DivX got my attention, though.  Prior to the problem, I did NOT have DivX on my computer.  It seemed to have piggy-backed on the Roxio Easy CD/DVD that I installed recently.  Is it possible that that arrival messed up some the previous paths to my Assets and/or caused a CODEC corruption?  The question now would be, how do I fix that?

4)  And as for your question about the full specs of AV files.  I'll be happy to provide that, I'm just not sure I know what you're talking about or how to get them.  This is what I can tell you now, they were full-length movies, moved over as AVI files, anywhere from 2 to 3 GB in size from which I was in the process of editing clips.

At this point, in addition to the limited C-space issue, I'm most suspicious of this DivX install issue.  What do you think?  

• 7. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, having the DivX, and/or the open source version Xvid, installed has never created an issue. Those two CODEC's would work well for playback of that type of file (usually an AVI w/ the DivX CODEC) in many video playing software.

However, and just recently, there have been some reports that things went haywire, with the update for the DivX player. Unfortunately, I do not recall what the symptoms were, or even if that info came from the PrE, or PrPro forum. I just made a mental note to not allow DivX player (I have the commercial version on the workstation and the free version on my laptop) to update. With what I have installed now, I have no issues. If I can find the reference to the DivX player update, I will link to it in this thread.

As for the AV files, either G-Spot, or MediaInfo (both free), can look inside the AVI wrapper, and tell you what you have. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail, and has links to those two program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                        River Dean Level 1

Just an update, Bill.  I used G-Spot on those avi files and all of them are showing up as DivX codec.  You said earlier... "An exception would be a CODEC, such as the DivX/Xvid, which will just not show the Video, or show it very poorly." and this seems to be what's going on here.  That may be why I'm getting the audio, but the video is not coming through.

And as you mentioned the DivX update issue, I DO remember allowing an update to DivX even after it was installed with the Roxio product.  So it may be possible that I got caught up in that "haywire."

The question now is, what do I do about it?

Dean

• 9. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I had suspected similar, and that was why I kept mentioning "DivX."

Those files will very likely never show the Video, or show it well.

Instead, I would convert the AVI-DivX files to DV-AVI w/ the MS DV/DVC CODEC.

I use an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (Deskshare), but there are many free converters available. I have not used any of those, so I cannot comment, but others likely can.

DivX/Xvid are good CODEC's for delivering streaming Video, but are horrible to try and edit. They are first very highly-compressed, are GOP (Group of Pictures), and even with the proper CODEC's installed, Premiere will most likely never be able to edit the material. Some other NLE (Non Linear Editor) program, like CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro seem to handle more versions of DivX better, but not perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                            nealeh Level 5

I've broken both the rules - use the C: drive and don't partition the drive - and not had any problems with PRE running on the third partition of my primary physical drive designated E:. I've not done anything special, just selected that drive during installation.

As for C: drive space I once had a project that needed 60GB free before it would work without error.

This is the routine I use to maintain my free disk space on my drives:

1. (Optional) Make a note of how much free space your disk has.
                            2. Create a system restore point.
                            3. Download and install the free CCleaner. Run it and let it clean up what it finds.
                            4. Review your disk for files that can be safely deleted and do so. I highly recommend the free 'SpaceSniffer' (ensure you run it as administrator) that graphically shows what is using your disk space. It is amazing.
                            5. Run CCleaner again (to remove the stuff from step 4).
                            6. Run Disk Cleanup.
                              If it was me I would select the 'Clean up system files' button and then, on the 'More Options' tab, elect to clean up 'System Restore and Shadow Copies'. This deletes all but the most recent restore point and can free up many gigabytes of disk space. You do need to be confident that your machine is currently in a stable state and that reverting to the restore point created in step 2 (if necessary) will give you a working system.
                            7. Run Disk Defragmenter.
                            8. (Optional) Make a note of how much free space your disk has, compare to step 1 and (mandatory) gasp 'Wow'.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for reporting. I knew that you had PrE installed on a separate disk from C:\, but did not recall that you are running partitions.

I agree with you on cleaning up ones HDD's, with great regularity, and also defragmenting religiously. One will be surprised at how well PrE (and many other programs) runs, with plenty of defragmented free-space.

Also, at about 70% of capacity, HDD performance slows. The closer to 100%, the slower it gets. At, or very near 100%, the incidents of catastrophic failure increase, and that is not pretty.

Good luck to the OP, and thanks to Neale.

Hunt

• 12. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                nealeh Level 5

nealeh wrote:

This is the routine I use to maintain my free disk space on my drives:
                                • (Optional) Make a note of how much free space your disk has.
                                • (Optional) Make a note of how much free space your disk has, compare to step 1 and (mandatory) gasp 'Wow'. 

Hmm - this reminded me it had been a while since I last did it. I try and keep my PC well maintained but thought others might like to see the kind of wow factor possible. The majority of these savings come from removing all but the last restore point and file shadow copies. That is why E: drive savings are low - as I install applications onto that drive so it doesn't really change very much.

Drive
                                BeforeAfterGained
                                C: Drive27.8 GB36.8 GB9.0 GB
                                E: Drive81.5 GB83.8 GB2.3 GB
                                I: Drive55.2 GB79.6 GB24.4 GB

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

• 13. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                  River Dean Level 1

I've had to work this problem intermittingly due to other work demands, so that's why it's been a few days since my last post.  Though I haven't had time to get completely out of the woods, I definitely think you guys have guided me onto the path that will get me there.  So, here's an update....

First of all, Neale thanks so much for the simple walk-through you provided for cleaning up C. Since I already had CCleaner, I ran it, downloaded and ran SpaceSniffer, (you were right, great visual of what's on the disk.  Very helpful!)  I also did the other things you suggested and I now have 50GB of free space out of 28GB total.  And I'm still working on that issue as I think I'll be able to clear up even more.  If I can find a way to safely move iTunes over to another drive, that alone will free up another 50Gs!  But that's for another day.

Then, Bill, thanks for the great conversion and software advice.  I download Digital Media Converter (actually purchased the PRO edition just to be safe) and just this morning completed the first conversion and was able to get it into Prel just fine - audio and video are both there!  Woo-hoo!  Haven't done any editing on it yet, but at least it's not the red screen any more.  Now, I'll start working on the others.  Just a quick question for clarification though, DM Converter obviously gives me the DV-AVI output option, but I couldn't find anywhere where I could select the MS DV/DVC codec.  So I'm making the assumption that DV-AVI and MS DV/DVC Codec are one in the same?  You get one, you get the other? Because when I finished the conversion and used G-Spot to check it, it showed that the CODEC was dvsd, and I just hadn't heard mention of that.  Just wanted to make sure I'm choosing the right "gum wrapper" (see, I've read some of your other stuff, I've done my homework! )

So, that's basically where things stand right now.  I'll be able to work on this more over the next few days and hopefully by Tuesday, if not sooner, I can give you that final "All Is Well / Case-Closed" report!  Thanks to ALL of you who've chimed in on this.  I've learned a tremendous amount from you this week!  Have a great and safe holiday!

Dean

• 14. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm making the assumption that DV-AVI and MS DV/DVC Codec are one in the same?

That is correct. Unless things have changed, they are also Type II, which have fewer limitations and edit much better. The last holdout for DV-AVI Type I, that I can recall, was the old Windows Movie Maker, before the Live version.

The DVSD, is DV Standard Definition.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 15. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                      River Dean Level 1

Guys, quick question.  And Bill, since I'm working in same Digital Media Converter software that you do, you may have to answer this one. 

As I'm in the process of converting these files from DixX to DV-AVI, I've noticed that the finished conversion is significantly larger that the original unconverted version.  For instance, one file went from 3GB to 20GB after the conversion!  Surely I have some wrong conversion settings somewhere, but I can't find where they are.

Thoughts?

Dean

• 16. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                        nealeh Level 5

DV-AVI is a (nearly) lossless format and produces files of around 13GB per hour. So your 20GB suggests a run time of around 80 - 90 minutes for your clip. DivX is a very highly compressed format hence the apparent dissimilarity between the two files.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Neale's observations (with which I agree), DivX/Xvid are GOP structure (see this ARTICLE), where DV-AVI is all I-Frame, i.e. one full Frame, rather than ~ 15 "difference Frames," between I-Frames. That will definitely increase the file size.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                            River Dean Level 1

Neale and Hunt, thanks so much for the clarification.  All makes sense.  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.  I don't mind the size, as after I'm finished with the editing, I'll delete the file and get the space back.  Learning more about the DivX and the GOP structure explains why I was having such difficulty editing these clips prior to conversion.  I was never able to cut the clips quite as precisely as I wanted to.  It was like there were "phantom frames" that wouldn't show up in the Previewer, but would show up when I would do a playback of the video.

Thanks guys!

Dean

• 20. Re: No Video, Just Audio in Elements 9
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

MPEG is also GOP too.

When a GOP structure file, that contains a CODEC, that PrE can use is Imported into PrE, the program does an internal conversion, and basically creates an I-Frame file to edit. That allows one to precisely Cut between Frames - what PrE is then working with, will be all I-Frames.

Now, when one has a file, with a CODEC, that PrE cannot handle properly, that internal conversion does not happen, or happen completely.

That internal "conversion" is why PrE does not offer what is often referred to as "smart rendering." The GOP structure file has been converted to I-Frame.

There are some NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, that do allow for smart rendering, However, they have limitations. One can be Cutting, in that one might have to go up to 15 - 18 Frames, to Cut on an I-Frame. Also, if one adds any sort of overlay, like a Title, or PiP, then that footage does have to be rendered. Same for Transitions. Some people, who only Cut/Trim MPEG (or similar), and do not use Titles, or Transitions, like the programs, that do smart rendering, as that saves them having a additional compression step.

Let's say that one has a camera, that shoots to a miniDVD (will be using the MPEG-2 CODEC), they Import that into PrE, edit it and then go to author a DVD, which will also be MPEG-2, they will re-compress that footage a second time. Often, and especially with off-axis motion, the result might not be pretty.

With HD material, even if it uses the H.264 CODEC, things are a bit better, due to working with many more pixels - up to 1920 x 1080, and going to BD, instead of DVD-Video, but there is still re-compression.

That is why many of us still love miniDV tape cameras, shooting in SD, or HDV. There is no initial compression (well, there is some, but it is minimal, at about 5%), but nowadays, there are few such cameras available. Almost everyone is going to a tapeless capture format, and then there WILL be initial compression, and a final re-compression, upon output.

Video is not so cut and dried, and there is an awful lot to think about, and take into consideration.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt