2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 11:31 PM by Pierre Devereux

Recording Modes and After Effects

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering if I could ask a question that does not concern a specific effect required in After Effects! :-)

We are going to start shooting footage for our project, and have purchased the Panasonic AG-AF100P Camera. There are several modes that can be used, and sorting through all the possible variations has my brain dribbing out of my ears, but thats ok, I can sort that out later (we have just had our first baby son 4 weeks back, so my brain is dribbly as it is).... The question that I have is this:

The camera supports the "PH", "HA" and "HE" modes. Most programs understand footage shot in the "HA" and "HE" modes. Will After Effects work with footage shot in the "PH" mode?

and before I get into too much trouble for asking this, I also believe this might be more of an issue for Premiere Pro than for After Effects, but I have made myself comfortable in this forum....and I fear change! :-)

Thank you for any advice

Pierre

• 1. Re: Recording Modes and After Effects
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The camera supports the "PH", "HA" and "HE" modes. Most programs understand footage shot in the "HA" and "HE" modes. Will After Effects work with footage shot in the "PH" mode?

Probably, but that "mode" stuff is arcane Panasonic terminology; I think it might refer to the bit rate at which the camera records video: the higher the bit rate, the better the image.  It means very little to AE folks.  Or to Premiere folks, for that matter.

People who use video-based applications want to know about different things associated with footage: 

Media Container (quicktime, AVI, m2t, mp4)

Resolution (1920x1080, 1280x720, 2k, etc.)

Frame Rate (59.94, 50, 29.97, 23.976, etc.)

Codec (H.264, Cineform, Photo JPEG, PNG, etc.)

The term "mode" can mean different things to different camera makers, and even different things among different models from the same camera maker.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Recording Modes and After Effects
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Thanks Dave,

Once again, much appreciated - I was afraid I was wasting the forums time, but this information does help. Ill do some test shooting today, with different settings and see what happens.

Thanks guys

Pierre