7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 10:15 PM by shooternz

SpeedGrade Surprise

Jim Curtis Level 3

Since there isn't a Sg forum, I guess this is the place for questions.

I just opened Sg, and played around for a while.  Later, I look in my Pr project folder, and I see SEVENTY GIGABYTES of DPX files (image sequences) in a folder called "Pr Sequence name SG Media."   This is over double the file size for my original ProRes4444 media for the whole project.

So, my question is:  Are you kidding me? 

SpeedGrade needs to duplicate all my footage in order to do it's voodoo? 

I think I just discovered a good reason to never open Sg again, and do all my color work in Ae (where I've been doing it for years).

[Title edited for content]

• 2. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
          Jim Curtis Level 3

I looked for a Sg forum before I posted, but it eluded me.  I clicked the "Adobe Premiere Forums" link up top, and didn't see it.  I didn't drill deep enough.  Sorry.

I see you already addressed my post in your link.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
            Jim_Simon Level 8

To a degree.

• 4. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
              Jim Curtis Level 3

Hee.  Yes.  I totally agree with your assessment in that thread of the usefulness of Sg in a real-world scenario.  It reaffirms my conclusion that Sg isn't ready for me.  Or, I'm not ready for it.

• 5. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
                shooternz Level 6

Guys

Its very standard to work with intermediates in high end CC workflows.

The DPX is a very robust DI (digital intermediate) and once CC/ graded it can be taken (conformed back to)  Compositors , AEFX, PremPro etc... for mastering.

It needs consideration and planning to how one uses the DI and at what stage in the Post .

Workflow in Resolve, SG etc  are maybe not suited to a desktop workflow where everything is done at one time in one place. 

Example.

Usually, I prefer to select takes, edit them (Premiere)  and lock it down in an edit .

Then , from the EDL,  Resolve will CC/grade to the clips with handles (100 frames).

The DI is then conformed in the edit suite of choice ( eg Flame, Smoke, Premiere...) and the finishing work is done ( grafix, fx, audio, etc...)

Master out from there.

Some people grade there rushes ( dailies) then edit those and tweak them  in the edit suite,

Some CC grade a finished compiled edit with transitions etc...(Resolve can deconstruct and reconstruct for this)

...but all use the DI workflow somewhere.

• 6. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

once CC/ graded it can be taken (conformed back to)  Compositors , AEFX, PremPro etc... for mastering.

How exactly?  (The SG manual isn't out yet, and I just haven't stumbled on anything by myself.)

• 7. Re: SpeedGrade WTF
                    shooternz Level 6

Hey Jim

I am with you, stumbling around SG without a proper manual,  but Adobe are telling us to use the original Iridas Manual for the detail.

I will get my SG understanding off the back burner as soon as I see the Manual  and have some time...but meantime, will rely on others to manage my CC workflow at the Resolve Suite.   That is DI and EDL and CDL. with xml somewhere in the mix.