3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 8:29 AM by Noberto.Clarkos

Editing AE Comps in CS5.5

Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

Hey everyone,

Guess this could have went in either this forum or the After Effects one but here goes.

I am editing footage using XDCAM EX 1080/50i (HQ) codec on Premiere Pro CS5.5 and I am doing some motion graphics, grading etc in AE CS5.5 also to drop into the same timeline. I have exported my comps both lossless (.avi using Windows), H.264 and Quicktime with DNxHD codec and when I bring them into Premiere I am not getting smooth playback. Although my HD footage plays back just fine. In previous projects, exporting SD lossless comps always played back fine. I know there is alot more information to be processed by the PC for HD compared to SD but I thought I would share this information incase it helps in any way.

Now my first guess is that my machine isn't up to scratch, and this is the most likely option, I am currently hassling my boss for an upgrade. But incase I am doing something wrong and not exporting a more suitable format from AE then I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Production Premium CS5.5

Windows 7

4gb RAM

AMD Phenom II X4 965

NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT

• 1. Re: Editing AE Comps in CS5.5
          Jim Curtis Level 3

Nice start on your system spex, but you didn't say anything about your drives.  That could be your bottleneck.  Your RAM is puny, but I think your emoticon signifies your acknowledgement.

FWIW, I'm on Pr Mac CS 5.5 & 6, and Pr routinely drops frames of 1080 material that's unprocessed, in a native Sequence in the Program window, when it plays the original media in QT Player just dandy.  This comes and goes, and I haven't figured out why this happens.  I just accept it, relaunch, reboot, and hope it goes away before I go nuts.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing AE Comps in CS5.5
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You are right. The specs are below standard. The closest system I could find was an AMD Phenom II X4 with 8 GB memory and a 9500 GT video card and that system ranks # 729 out of 882 systems. More than 11 times slower than a fast Intel system. In your case with only 4 GB memory, it would probably be closer to 20 times slower than a fast Intel system. See Benchmark Results

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Editing AE Comps in CS5.5
              Noberto.Clarkos Level 1

Thanks for your swift replies. I guessed as much regarding the hardware, kind of glad because it gives me even more of a reason to push my boss for an upgrade!

As for my drives there is an 2x 1TB internal SATA drives, nothing special there either!

The thing that really grinds my gears is that it is my own personal copy of CS5.5 I installed on this machine because we only had CS3 previously. My PC at home is far superior to my "workstation".

Thanks for your help and also thanks for the benchmark results info, that will really help argue my case for better equipment