5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 2:47 PM by jumpymonkey9

Linking files won't search out hard drive.

atxspencer Level 1

Info:

Mac Pro

CS5.5

I have a project with R3D Files, my HD was getting full so I bought a larger one, made a duplicate of the R3D media. Now when I try to link up the media to the new drive, Premiere wont serach the hard drive and autolink ANYTHING. (Have like 2000 files, so I can't individually do this)

It's almost as if the clips in the project have a hard drive letter or something set to it, and even when I point it to the right HD it keeps trying to find the other HD.

How do I fix this?

Please help. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Linking files won't search out hard drive.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Remove the old, smaller drive.  Change the driver letter of the new, larger drive to match.  Make sure you have the same folder structure on the new drive.

• 2. Re: Linking files won't search out hard drive.
            atxspencer Level 1

How does one do this on a Mac? I don't even knwo if that IS the case, I dont knwo if Mac even uses drive letters. I just don't know how to fix it.

• 3. Re: Linking files won't search out hard drive.
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Sorry, missed the Mac part.

• 4. Re: Linking files won't search out hard drive.
                jumpymonkey9

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing.  I just got a G-Tech G Speed Q raid drive.  I copied all my video files from all my various projects to that drive.  Now I'm trying to figure out an easy way to tell my project to look at the files on the new raid drive.  Would I need to remove the smaller drive as was mentioned, or is there a way to link the files in the project to their counterparts on the new drive?  I'm using CS5.5 on Windows 7.

• 5. Re: Linking files won't search out hard drive.
                  jumpymonkey9 Level 1

I may have just answered my own question, and atxspencer, maybe it will help you too, even though you're on a Mac.

I first made a copy of my project, just to make sure I could go back if this didn't work.  I have most of my clips sorted into bins, so what I did was go into the first bin and select all the clips there.  Then I right-clicked and selected "Make Offline".  A window pops up and I made sure I selected "media files remain on disk."  I'm not sure what would happen if I told it they were deleted, but it seemed to work this way.

Now the clips are labeled as Offline, so you'd get the big red screen if you viewed the clip in a timeline.  With them still selected, right-click again and select "Link Media".  Then that window pops up asking you to find where the file is that you want to link.  I kept the file folder structure the same between both drives, so all I had to do was change the drive letter to that of the new drive.  You could also just navigate there normally.  Once you find the first file on the new drive that the Link Media window is asking for, it automatically finds the other files that you have selected.  You can right click on the clip and select "Reveal in Explorer (or Finder)" and it will show you where that clip is, and it should be on the new drive.

I did find one problem though.  If you select 2 or more clips that are in different folders on your drive, even if they are in the same bin in your project, when you Link Media, it will automatically link them like before, but for the clips that aren't in the same folder as the first one that it looks for, it will re-link the clip to the original hard drive.  So depending on how you organized your files on your drive, it could take longer, or if you just threw them all into one folder, it should go pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.