10 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 7:56 AM by squidkings

12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?

carpeannum

Have I been had? I bought a custom system from MicroCenter a year ago. I was very clear that I was going to be doing a lot of video editing (mostly for online use), that I was using Premiere Pro 5, and that CUDA processing was recommended but that I was no hardware expert.

The rest of the system is good, I think:

8G RAM,

2.8 GHz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

64 bit Windows 7

but it takes 12 hours to render a 1.5 hour video edited in PP5. I suspect that the expert helping me either didn't believe me when I talked about what PP5 required or didn't know as much as he claimed, but perhaps I am the one who is not managing the card properly.  Or is 12 hours normal??

I just checked the driver and it's from 2/10/2010, v8.710.0.0

I went to the AMD site and had it auto detect the upgrade I needed (since Microsoft Update said it was already up to date), and downloaded the Catalyst driver that it provided (updated in May 2012, I think).  Got an error message that there was no driver installed, rebooted, and we're back to the old driver. 

No forum topic I've read has said, "OMG, why on earth would you run a Radeon HD4250??" but reviews elsewhere online have been less than enthusiastic.  As someone trying to start a business, I can't afford the best card out there, but these rendering times are driving me crazy, so would appreciate any recommendations for improving system performance.

Thank you in advance,

Linda

• 1. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually those render times do make sense, but Microcenter seriously messed up and gave you a lousy system. With the specs you mention, that system is at least 20 times slower than a fast Intel desktop, so where you need 12 hours, a good Intel system would only need around 40 minutes.

The base line as you so eloquently put it: Have I been had? is a definite yes.

What should you look at: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
            carpeannum Level 1

Thanks, Harm.  He was awfully convincing about the AMD not being significantly different from the Intel chips.  :-P  It sounds as though there is really no way to upgrade this system - I have to start over from scratch to be at all cost-effective.  Is that right?

• 3. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
              RjL190365 Level 4

The salesperson over at that particular Micro Center who sold you that AMD system was equally as clueless as the average consumer when it comes to hardware that's most optimally suited for a particular specialized task. In fact, I didn't think he'd ever heard of Premiere Pro at all, or that he must have confused Premiere Pro with Premiere Elements (which doesn't take much if any advantage of the advanced instructions that distinguish a current Intel CPU from a current AMD CPU).

And CUDA processing only works with discrete Nvidia GPUs (this means a separate GeForce or Quadro graphics card with 1GB or more VRAM is required - the onboard video on Nvidia motherboard chipsets is not supported for CUDA acceleration due to its sharing of system RAM, and thus have no dedicated VRAM at all). One cannot add CUDA support to an ATi or AMD GPU at all.

• 4. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The basic problem we all encounter is that video editing has its own demands and gaming, office applications, browsing and miscellaneous stuff have quite different demands of a system. Most of these guys at MicroCenter or any other store usually know a bit about gaming and internet browsing, since they do that themselves, they may know about office applications, but 9 out of 10 can't even spell 'Premiere Pro', let alone use it. They are just nit-wits and often give you the wrong advise, but hey, you expect them to know their business. Well, that is where dedicated custom builders like ADK come into the picture, or you go to Videoguys with their DIY guides, or you come here.

In the past I have occasionally posted here about systems, requirements and my look at things. A number of these posts can be found under the FAQ section (if you can still find it in the new forum setup). That does not by any means imply that I know everything, far from it, I suffer from the same doubts all of us have as you can see here: PPBM6 Planning a new system but maybe you can benfit from these tidbits of information.

• 5. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                  carpeannum Level 1

Harm,

Can I impose on you a little more?  How about if I compliment you on your very dapper photo?  :-)

I have tried reading your PPBM6 article as well as the "What PC to build" article.  I follow it in general, but you rapidly get into terminology and considerations that I don't understand and - as a sole proprietor with twelve other things to do - don't have the time to teach myself.  So, I went to Dell and got a quote for an XPS 8500 system that *sounds* good - though the tower is just under 15" in height, which leads me to believe that it doesn't fit your first spec "A BIG tower is the (only) way to go". Other specs include:

• i7-3770 (3.4 GHz) w/ Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.9 GHz (is this overclocking??)
                  • 12 GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600MHz 2 x 2 GB + 2 x 4 GB
                  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1 GB GDDR5 - once again, can't find an indication that this is an exciting card for people doing video editing, but this is the best they offer in < $2K systems. 
                  • 2TB SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM

No indication of PSU or Motherboard or CPU cooler.  I was assured that the GT 640 was comparable to the GTX 5xx cards though I don't believe it.  Don't understand how the SATA drive compares to the OX + 4 x 1 TB on your list.

My current system does have AMD 2+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device, plus a 17" Alien case + (if memory serves) a substantial power supply and cooler (I can't get inside because the case is locked and I haven't been able to locate the key).  Is there any point to trying to find someone in Boston who can help me build it back up to the proper specs instead of starting from scratch?  ADK is in Kentucky, so not much help, although I see their I7-DVC system meets many of your specs.

I'll shut up after this, but hope to hear your advice on Dell vs. rebuilding my current system vs. biting the bullet and getting the ADK I7-DVC system.

Many thanks,

Linda

• 6. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Linda,

I suggest you contact either Eric or Scott at http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ because they can easily get you a better system, that exactly meets your needs. I don't know if their price is better, but they will get you a much better BFTB, 'Bang-for-the-buck'.

PS. You have identified one (of many) of my weaknesses, in assuming readers will have the same or similar understandings that I have and going too quickly to jargon that is not obvious to many. Thanks for pointing that out, because with that hint I can try to make this article more readable for many others. Thank you for reminding me.

• 7. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                      carpeannum Level 1

Thanks for the referrals.  Will try Eric or Scott later this week. 

I think it is great that you work to create simple explanations of complex technical subjects. My business is called Plano & Simple (my last name is Plano) because I coach entrepreneurs on how to pitch to investors using simple, clear language - to be compelling without getting into technical detail (to give myself a little more credibility, I do have a BS in Physics and a PhD in Materials Science).

So - keep up the good work!  Even us technical non-techies truly appreciate the assistance.

Linda

• 8. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                        squidkings Level 1

All may not be lost with your current system. I would suspect when you told the salesperson online they assumed you ment internet use. I believe your AMD 4250 card can use its stream processors to render a dvd mpg2 files. If money is a issue for your start up video business, its worth a try downloading the rendering portion of the catylast control center. This will quickly make a file you can import into Encore to make dvds. Just be sure you set the asset to not to render in Encore. Granted a few more steps than having a highend Intel system but the savings would be tremendous. You'll have to ask yourself what is your video market is going to support.

Tim

• 9. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, there has never been a discrete AMD HD 4250 GPU. All "HD 4250" GPUs are integrated on motherboards with certain AMD core-logic chipsets. As such, those onboard GPUs actually steal some system RAM for themselves, leaving the user with much less than the installed RAM available for apps. These onboard graphics do not have their own dedicated VRAM at all.

And the AMD DVD encode function only works with discrete AMD/ATi GPUs, such as the HD 6450. It will not work at all with any integrated/onboard GPU such as the HD 4250 or with any GPU that lacks sufficient dedicated VRAM (in this case, the HD 4250 does not have any dedicated VRAM at all - but instead steals some system RAM).

And the rendering engine will not do any good in Premiere Pro: The OP still needs Premiere to make the edits, and if performance within Premiere is sluggish with that particular system, there is nothing she can do short of an entirely new system (especially since adding a discrete GeForce graphics card can only do so much for a PC that's relatively slow by current standards).

Message was edited by: RjL190365

• 10. Re: 12 hrs for 90 minute video rendering?
                            squidkings Level 1

Ah that explains why I was unable to find a 4250 card on the AMD site. I have a AMD 4850 in my back up machine it has over 400 stream cores and it can quickly transcode video to mpg2 quickly with the free tools AMD supplies. I can only hope that Adobe expands the GPU features to include all capable cards for both the MAC or pc users. I feel this would occur much more quickly if pc users learn to complain as well as Mac users (smiles). I'll stand by my orignal advice for Linda... depending on your client's true needs an overnight processing of your DVD output is workable... I upgraded my computer when I started using AVCHD files that just were too sputtering to work with. Ive had processed blueray material for 24 hrs now thats a pain. Upgrading should be more a function than what your doing rather than your output time. If its long you can plan for it.

Tim