4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 3:45 PM by skyhorseranch2

Jerking, slow, fast movement on final DVD

skyhorseranch2

Hi, I may not have all the tech info because I'm at work and my project is at home ... however, the problem I'm having is the final DVD burn. When I watch it, the movement of people walking is jerky. It goes okay for awhile, speeds up, slows down, jerks. I was using a tripod and smooth motions, this is just wrong

The original project was about an hour so I shortened it to half an hour and burned it again, and still have the same problem.

I'm using an older version of Adobe Premiere elements, not HD. My project files are on one drive and am using C drive for rendering.

Can you tell me how to start troubleshooting? The playback looks fine on preview DVD and the burned DVD sound appears fine, it's only the image.

I've made alot of similar sized videos and have not had this problem before.

The "clips" for the DVD were made in other projects and rendered individually, then the rendered portions were pulled into the project, used menus to make the DVD, then burned.

thanks,

Donna

• 1. Re: Jerking, slow, fast movement on final DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to confirm: You burned a DVD and you're playing it on a DVD player and watching it on your TV, right?

And you get the same results when you play it on your computer?

We should confirm that first, because first we need to determine if the issue is actually on the burned disc and not a playback issue or a problem with your original video files or project specs.

You've got a couple of potential issues here, so we really need to narrow this down.

• 2. Re: Jerking, slow, fast movement on final DVD
            skyhorseranch2 Level 1

thats a very good question. I was wondering about that.

Yes, I was playing the DVD on a DVD player and watching it on a TV to test it.

I took the shorter DVD to work and played it on my computer today - I can still see irregularities in the footage. It's almost as if it's "sticky" and a few places it blinks/shakes rapidly (less than half a second).

I used a firewire to import from my camcorder to my computer. edited the footage. rendered a few different projects. started a new project w/ rendered clips, burned that.

it is affecting the normal speed footage of all the rendered footage pieces.

I need to go back and test some of my other projects and see if they are affected as well. Most of my videos are fast-action w/ lots of cuts and clips coming and going so maybe I haven't noticed it before.

This project I'm working on now has alot of normal, long clips of people walking with their dogs (at a dog competition) - so its easy to see they are not walking normally

you can see in this clip, at second 5 to 7, the video "jumps".

http://youtu.be/HliHDeVbNg8

also, this (most recent) is mostly stills, and they are not smooth, alot of jerking - see second 41.

http://youtu.be/SeNjZK7j9HM

I made a rather long wedding video a few years ago and it looked okay.

I could burn a test section and post it.

original files look ok on camcorder. look ok on full screen preview of project.

project specs could be off and I could have less hard drive space.

D

• 3. Re: Jerking, slow, fast movement on final DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can likely smooth out pans and zooms over photos by right-clicking on each photo and selecting Field Options/Flicker Removal. (Just a hint from my book.) Also, make sure your photos are not larger than 1000x750 pixels.

You have got a funny tremble occasionally in the videos you link to, but it's hardly noticeable. Is it in your original footage?

In fact, what model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

There are also some potential issues in your workflow. You say: "The "clips" for the DVD were made in other projects and rendered individually, then the rendered portions were pulled into the project."

Which Share settings did you select and what format were these outputs?

There are very specific settings that must be used when you output a video to be used in another project. Using the wrong intermediate file format can certainly cause a number of issues.

• 4. Re: Jerking, slow, fast movement on final DVD
                skyhorseranch2 Level 1

flicker removal is in use for stills. or should be.

original footage does not have trembles. except for the old grainy footage in one of my youtube videos that was vhs converted

camcorder digital8 Sony - older model

project settings ... I think they are all NTSC? standard

exported project to computer (probably as NTSC std) - so output is MPEG?

will ck.