21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 3:59 AM by davidfranjic

Advice needed! Audio Dropping Out (...even after major system upgrade...)

SDCone Level 1

Hi there,

I've had an extremely frustrating day and hoping someone out there can help me. Some of you have even helped me recently and know a bit of this story, so thank you and apologies.

In preparation to edit a feature of mine shot 4K on the RED Scarlet, it became apparent to me as I was viewing dailies and synching sound that using CS5.5 on my 3-year-old PC - Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300, 918 GB drive, 8 GB memory, ATI Radeon HD 4850 - was not going to cut it. The main indicator was that whenever the picture and the perfectly good recorded-separately audio was placed into the timeline, the audio would drop out after a few seconds, even though the waves still appeared and it played perfectly fine separately - that was the main issue, but I was also getting a red bar over everything and the picture was chopping at anything other than 1/8 resolution.

Well, based on my experience and also advice from these forums, I realized if I was going to edit a 4K feature, I definitely needed an upgrade. So, causing a month's delay on the start of the edit (though I was able to successfully view and merge everything on the old systems), I just dropped $2200 on brand new system from ADK - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz Quad 8 meg cache w/HT, 16G RAM, 2.5 TB over 3 internal hard drives and a GeForce GTX 560 Graphics Card - and, after switching over to the new system, upgrading to CS6 and jumping in to edit my RED 4K footage today (merged and relinked to the source footage)...the perfectly good sound is STILL dropping out in the timeline! I can't believe it. This is what set me after a new system in the first place.

Does this have to do with my audio settings, by any chance? Is it a hard drive issue (I'm working from two externals)? What should I do? Could really use the help. Everything is merged and linked and organized and in place, and I am so, so very ready to edit this thing.

Thank you so much,

Stephen Cone