4 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 10:09 AM by TradeWind

Replace multicam sequence with master clips

Jeff Kay

I have a multicam project in 5.5 that I need to replace all of the multicam sequences with the master clips.  I know Avid had a "committ multicam edits" function that quickly allowed this, but after looking around for a bit I cannot seem to find a similar functionality in Premiere.

• 1. Re: Replace multicam sequence with master clips
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't really understand the goal here.

• 2. Re: Replace multicam sequence with master clips
            Jeff Kay Level 1

The multicam shots on my timeline are sequences rather than clips.  I'm exporting via AAF and it doesn't handle the sequences, so I need to replace the multicam sequences with the master clips.

• 3. Re: Replace multicam sequence with master clips
              andybarry

I also would like some help with this.

I've been editing a multi-cam sequence with a LOT of cutting between 3 camera angles. I need to now go into After Effects and do some compositing on those. After Effects will retain the cut points, but it won't retain the chosen camera angle with the nested multi-cam source. So it's rendered useless.

Is there a feature, as Jeff mentioned, like Avid where you can commit the multi-cam cuts and edits, thereby replacing the nested multi-cam source with the master clips?

The goal is to no longer have a nested multi-cam sequence but to have it work like regular cuts so it's AAF, AE, export friendly.

Right-clicking the nested sequence in the timeline and choosing replace with... clip from bin, or whatever, doesn't work because it replaces from the in point, so I might as well start the edit all over again.

I think I've wasted more time searching for an answer than I could have spent just replacing the edit.

• 4. Re: Replace multicam sequence with master clips
                TradeWind Level 3

andybarry wrote:

I've been editing a multi-cam sequence with a LOT of cutting between 3 camera angles. I need to now go into After Effects and do some compositing on those. After Effects will retain the cut points, but it won't retain the chosen camera angle with the nested multi-cam source. So it's rendered useless.

This sounds like a job for DYNAMIC LINK!

Use Dynamic Link to bring your project/sequence into AE and do your compositing. Not a perfect solution for every workflow, but might work in your case. Or might not.

Is there a feature, as Jeff mentioned, like Avid where you can commit the multi-cam cuts and edits, thereby replacing the nested multi-cam source with the master clips?

The goal is to no longer have a nested multi-cam sequence but to have it work like regular cuts so it's AAF, AE, export friendly.

Sounds like an excellent feature request...I'd probably use it once or twice, and other folks with cross application/platform workflows like yourself would obviously benefit greatly (of course, it could just do a better job of passing off the video information as well I guess....)

Otherwise, I'm not sure how you'd be able to go about doing this in any short matter. I guess if you had 2 camera angles, and you didn't cut any portion of the multicam subsequence out of your final sequence, you COULD split your multicam cuts to two separate video tracks, then add the source media to 2 other tracks and use the cut segments to "carve out" the original media via an overlay edit (so you'd overlay the camera 1 multicam selections over the camera 2 video clip, and vice versa for the camera 2 multicam selections and the camera 1 video clip).

Start using 3, 4 or 8 camera angles and this workaround would obviously quickly become unworkable.