5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 2:46 AM by Mylenium

Unable to create image buffer after RAM preview

DannyAskew Level 1

Running into an odd and frustrating error. Built a comp using the new Ray-traced 3D renderer and now I'm regretting being an early adopter big time with all the problems I've been encountering with it. The latest comes whenever I do a longer RAM preview in an attempt to watch the whole duration of my comp. It will get to about 170 frames or so, at which point I've interrupted by pressing spacebar because I don't need to see all the way to the end of my work area (around 220 frames). It'll play the RAM preview back fine, and even loop it, but as soon as I stop playback, I get this error message: "After Effects warning: Unable to create image buffer." There's only one button: "okay" and as soon as I click it the same error pops up again and it will never go away, forcing me to close AE from the task manager. I've taken to saving before every RAM preview like I used to do with Flash before previewing my buggy swfs for fear I'll lose all my work after previewing. Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Some more details about my comp:

1920x1080 @ 29.97

Ray-traced 3D

About 70 3D layers (I'm guessing this is my downfall - new renderer not designed for this many layers?)

Running Windows 7 Professional

i7 2600K

32GB RAM

2x GTX 570 video cards running latest driver (301.42, CUDA 4.2.1)

508GB free on my 2TB internal drive where the project and cache lives

From my GPU info window in case it's useful:

Fast Draft:Available
      Texture Memory:600.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:GPU

OpenGL

Vendor:NVIDIA Corporation
      Device:GeForce GTX 570/PCIe/SSE2
      Version:3.0.0
      Total Memory:1.20 GB
      Shader Model:4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version:4.2
      Devices:2 (GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 570)
      Current Usable Memory:1.04 GB (at application launch)
      Maximum Usable Memory:1.25 GB