3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2012 1:17 AM by RodWard

Animating characters in a text field

alexvda

Hello,

I'm new to captivate and not sure that this is something I can do with captivate. I'm trying to create a course on spelling, and for that I would like to have sentences or words on the screen that, at certain points in the presentation, have blinking characters or characters with different colors. I have not found a way to do that, is it at all possible, or would you recommend to use something else to create this?

Thank you,

Alex

• 1. Re: Animating characters in a text field
          RodWard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you able to show us a graphic or mockup of what you wanted? It's a little difficult to envisage your idea just from the description so far.

• 2. Re: Animating characters in a text field
            alexvda Level 1

For example, I'd Like my presentation to start with the word

Staar

(In dutch) and after a while (audio in the background with explanation) the 't' appears in red:

Staart

And while an audio is playing the t sometimes blinks, or grows bigger, or changes color, gets underlined, etc.

This can also happen in the middle of the word, like in

Staarten

where also the t needs to blink or highlight at certain moments in the presentation.

• 3. Re: Animating characters in a text field
              RodWard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK.  I think I get the idea.  I doubt that Captivate will be the right tool for your task.  I'm not saying it would be impossible, just that there are other tools out there (like Flash) that would offer you a greater level of control, albeit with a steeper learning curve.

In Captivate you can only animate or apply effects similar to what you describe on individual objects.  So to use an Effect to animate or change the colour of something, but if you wanted to do this to an individual letter in a word, then each letter would need to be in a separate text caption or be a separate graphic.

There are lots of easier ways to make something stand out. If I had to teach language words, and I wanted to highlight a given letter in the word using Captivate, I'd probably make the words quite large, then use a Highlight Box placed over the letter and either use a border or set to Fill Outer Area with about 50% Alpha so that only the letter in the highlight box could be easily read. 

1 person found this helpful