11 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2012 11:53 AM by nealeh

Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9

chleste

Hello, I've made a few videos with PE 9 now, and I get very poor quality rendering despite trying several different settings. I saw on a help thread earlier that I needed to try changing to HD when creating the new file from the beginning. I did that, but it only made my PE 9 run more slowly, and the rendering quality was not improved. I also read somewhere that using .MOV files as a source can cause problems with rendering; is that true? I hope not! I use a Lumix bridge camera for my videos, and the video quality is very good. And when I'm working with these videos within PE 9 the quality is great. It's only when exporting to various file types that the quality suddenly becomes poor. For the most part I have made compilation videos of gymnasts, and when their legs move they are often so lined or pixelated that they become invisible. Here is an example of a short gym video I made yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0s7tUBcSZk. The last girl jumping gives the best example of this invisible leg problem.

You can see the original source films here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmUMi9oN8dQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEzcJZjhxiI

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53twqPQMV4

The sequences I took in my compilation video start at about 20 seconds in the source videos.

Youtube does reduce the quality of the videos slightly, but in any case you can definitely see a difference in quality between the source videos and the PE 9 rendered compilation video.

I'm quite disappointed because I made a longer compilation video set to music (which was a lot of work), and it looks so much nicer on PE 9 than on any of the rendered formats, but of course I can't share the PE 9 version!

Thanks very much for your help.

Chleste

• 1. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
          Barbara B. Level 7

moving to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The Lumix Bridge is a multi-format camera that shoots video in a number of different formats and resolutions. Matching your project settings to your source format is vital to optimum performance of the program as well as getting the best quality video.

You don't say what format you're shooting your video in, but you should ideally be shooting in HD 1920x1080 50i or 60i. (Do not shoot in 50p or 60p if you plant to edit in Premiere Elements.)

Then start a Premiere Elements project using the settings for AVCHD 1920x1080 stereo.

When your project settings match your source video, you will NOT see red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline.

Then, if you plan to output to YouTube and you want the highest hi-def quality, use these settings, per the FAQs forum to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Of course, your editing performance is also related to your system hardware. So, if you plan to edit AVCHD, you should, per my book, have  a minimum quad core or i7 processor with 4 gigs of RAM for best performance.

• 3. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
              chleste Level 1

Thanks Steve. I'm not sure what resolution I'm shooting in, actually. However, the thing is that when I make these compilations, I like to go back to source videos I've made in the past sometimes. Sometimes these videos come from a Canon camera, and sometimes they even come from my Samsung mobile telephone. I like being able to creatively combine historic moments, and these moments might have been recorded without any intention at the time of making a compilation video. Is it not possible to combine several kinds of video sources?

I'm uploading an example of a compilation with mixed source videos from various kinds of cameras. It's 710 Megs so it will take a while, but when it's finished you will be able to see it at http://youtu.be/CslpULRe4LU.

I opened up the file for the compilation of the four girls on the beam (video posted in original message), and I do indeed see those red lines in the timeline. Is there anything I can do now about that, or do I have to start the project all over?

I'm confused about the processor requirements. Even if I can see my video perfectly in PE 9, the actual export process will be affected if my system is not up to par? If so, that's a bit disappointing! I'm not sure what my processor details are, but I will find out and let you know.

Many thanks.

• 4. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

PrE does not handle mixed sources in a single Project very well.

The ideal would be to either edit each source in its own Project, then Export/Share to a format that will match the bulk of the material, or to convert those other source files, to match, as closely, as is possible, the bulk of the video. Then, you can combine the other footage in the one larger Project.

Having a match, between the source files and the Project Preset, as Steve points out, is essential to not having problems, and to get the best output.

As for the CPU, that will not affect quality, but WILL affect how smoothly the editing goes, and also how smoothly the Timeline plays back. I agree with Steve on having an i7 (ideally) CPU, when dealing with any H.264 CODEC material, such as AVCHD.

If one matches everything properly, then editing will be easier, and output will be the best possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9

With Premiere Elements 9, it's vital that your project settings match your source video in order to get the best performance and quality. This is why we highly recommend mixing sources (a still camera, a camcorder, a phone) in the same project: It's impossible for all video sources to share the same project settings.

If you follow the instructions in my first post, you should get excellent quality and performance. Do a test project and you'll see.

But mixing sources and not matching your project specs to your source video will definitely cause the problems you're experiencing.

• 6. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
                    chleste Level 1

Thanks very much. I've run a few tests and can't seem to avoid the infamous red line in the timeline. I see that my source videos are 480 x 848. I don't see those dimensions as an option in opening a new project. Is this a problem?

• 7. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9

No. That setting is not available.

Have you tried to work with the 1920x1080i footage from your Lumix using the project settings I suggested?

• 8. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
                        chleste Level 1

Unfortunately I do not see any way of changing the settings on my Lumix. It's from 2009; I hope that's not too old.

My goal is not, of course, to make high-definition videos that will be beautifiul on a large screen TV. I just want to maintain the same medium quality that I start with.

And above all, I'd like to be able to use existing footage because I obviously can't go back and refilm all these old scenes. What can PrE 9 do with my existing 480 x 848 source videos? Surely the answer is not "just poor-quality videos."

I am beginning to wonder if PrE 9 is right for creative amateurs like myself. I'm certainly not looking to make a career out of this, nor do I want to invest in expensive camera equipment; I just want to make nice medium-quality compilation videos with the medium-quality sources I have available. I love the creative features of PrE 9, and I master them pretty well. Surely there is a way to make this work with my existing videos....

Thanks.

• 9. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9

Maybe you haven't got the camera I thought you had. This is what comes up when I do a search on Lumix Bridge.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz48_review/

If you have another camera, please provide the model number so that we can see its specs.

• 11. Re: Problems with rendering quality in Premiere Elements 9
                            nealeh Level 5

From this review:

The new DMC-FZ28  even records dynamic HD motion pictures in 1280 x 720p at a smooth 30 fps, in  addition to WVGA (848 x 480) and normal VGA (640 x 480)***.

So it sounds as though your current setting is WVGA which PRE will not handle well. For the future I suggest you switch to the 1280x720p mode. PRE should handle that with either the DSLR 720p or the HDV 720p project setting.

For your existing clips the camera probably came with software that can be used to edit the video. To start with (assuming it did) load your WVGA clips into it and see if it has any 'save', 'export', 'output', 'share', 'convert', or similarly sounding names that may create a file more suitable for PRE.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children