13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 4:43 AM by W.L.L.

Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

addhominey

pinkrawfile.jpg

Hi,

For an upcoming job, I'm testing a client's capability to open raw files from my 5D Mark III.  Whenever the client opens any of my raw files, they show up pink like the one above.  Client is using Photoshop CS6 on OSX and has run the software update for compatibility with the 5D Mark III.  I directed the client to install the Camera Raw Release Candidate 7.1., and after doing so, still has the pink files.  The files are not corrupted; they open fine on my Windows 7 Photoshop CS5. Any ideas how to resolve this issue? 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The file is pink because part of the RAW data is missing—part or all of the green data most likely.  Besides being pink the other evidence is that there is a discontinuity in the edge of the building along the top.  The important thing is to determine why the file is truncated.  If it looked ok on your computer, first, then it must have been the transfer to the other computer.  If the file looks this way every time you copy it off the card, then the file may be corrupt on the card, itself, which might mean the card is bad, or the camera writing the file to the card did something wrong.  Hopefully it is just the cabling or card read you used to copy the files to the computer that are bad.

• 2. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

I take back what I said about their being a discontinuity in the building—I see it is a corner in the building that was difficult to discern with all the pink.  There might still be a problem with the files being truncated, depending on how you are transferring them to their computer, but perhaps they are ok.  If these are copies of ones you looked at that seemed ok, you might verify there are the same size.  Are you copying them from one place to another for the other person to view them, or are they being opened from a portable drive that you’ve also opened them from so you know what is on the drive is intact?

On Windows, at least, a color cast, although I’ve never seen it as strong as this one, can occur in Adobe products, if the monitor profile is something Adobe does not understand.  Usually it is a monitor profile supplied by the manufacturer of the monitor and to fix things, you set the monitor profile to sRGB.  I don’t know about a Mac, though.

Are the files pink because of a strange ACR default setting that is different than your computer’s ACR default settings that once corrected makes them look ok?  Do JPGs also show the same color-cast?  There is a way to reset the ACR defaults to Factory defaults using the little 3-dots-3-lines icon at the top right of the toolbar below the histogram – that says Basic when you are on the first toning tab.  All the way down at the bottom of that menu is the reset.

• 3. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
              addhominey Level 1

Here's what the raw file looks like in camera raw on my computer:

okayraw.jpg

The client is getting the image by transfer through photoshelter, but has downloaded multiple raw files multiple times through that service always with the same effect.  I tried downloading the raw file from photoshelter, and it opened perfectly. The files look fine on photoshelter's server, as well. The client has no problem opening raw files from other cameras.  Those look fine.  But multiple every 5d3 file I've sent is pink on their computer.

Message was edited by: addhominey

• 4. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                addhominey Level 1

Oh, and the pink screenshot above is what the jpg looks like after conversion from raw through ACR.

• 5. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

Camera Raw Defaults are per camera and perhaps they are set strangely for the 5D.3 on your client’s computer.  In particular check the Green channel in the Point curve in Toning Curve.  I can easily create a very-magenta image by setting the toning curve to Point and selecting Green rather than RGB for the Channel and dragging the center of the curve all the way to the bottom to remove all green from the image.   The camera profile might also be corrupt, which can be tested by switching to some of the others to see if they look ok.

You can isolate whether it is your camera, in particular, or any 5D.3 raw file by having your client download and look at a RAW file from the following page—by clicking on the word RAW under the 5D.3 image at the top left of the series on this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/28

This is the direct download link to the ISO 100 studio image for the 5D.3 is:

http://movies.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/canon_eos5dmkiii/5D3_5199.CR2.zip

You might also try converting one of your CR2 files to DNG and make some adjustments, then update the preview and metadata into the DNG, so your client will be using your settings, rather than the defaults.

• 6. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                    addhominey Level 1

Thanks for all of the help.

The client can open those files, so it must be something in my process. I guess the next thing to do is to send some files from my camera that don't have metadata attached...just straight raw files from the camera that haven't been ingested by photo mechanic.  Are there any settings on the client's end that we could look into?

• 7. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

Zeroing the Green channel in the Point Toning Curve is how I got things to look pink.  You might also upload one, here, via a public-download link from www.dropbox.com or www.yousendit.com (or give a direct-link to the photo site you’ve already uploaded to if that doesn’t require a login) to see if others have the same issue, since, apparently, the RAW files have been modified by an external program.

• 8. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                        addhominey Level 1

Could you explain how to zero the green channel in the point toning curve?  When I open the file and go to the point curve, I can only adjust the RGB channel, and can't select other channels.

• 9. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                          addhominey Level 1

Ok.  Finally got it figured out.  Turns out that when the client downloaded from photoshelter the files ended in .jpg instead of .cr2 (though photoshelter was set to deliver the "original file").  Once I transmitted the files via dropbox, the client could open them fine. 

Looks like it wasn't an issue with ACR or the client's software.

Thanks for all the help.

• 10. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

Are the PhotoShelter files your client downloaded still CR2s that can just be renamed to have a CR2 extension or does PhotoShelter extract the JPG preview, not quite correctly, and only allow your client access to that?  I ask because you said you downloaded the files and they looked ok.  Were the files you retrieved not the original CR2s and you merely assumed they were so opened your originals that had not been downloaded, or does PhotoShelter give you different access to the files than your client because you are the owner?

• 11. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                              addhominey Level 1

Working with photoshelter to get to the bottom of what happened, but I was

able to download the original cr2 files and something in the client's

download process led to them getting files that ended with .jpg. Should

hear back from photoshelter in the future, and I'll post an update.

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?

Getting the wrong extension on a file is usually a combination of the website not assigning the right ContentType and the browser not quite knowing what to do—perhaps downloading as plaintext instead of binary and/or assigning a default JPG extension.  Using a different browser can make a difference.  IE vs Firefox is where I’ve seen a difference although I’m not sure which one was more forgiving of the wrong or unknown content-type.

• 13. Re: Why are my 5D Mark III raw files pink?
                                  W.L.L.

Sorry, this is a "question"!

What camera raw default settings would you use for the Canon 5D Mark 3. I have PS CS6.

Thank you.

Wendy