11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 4:02 PM by elizwebbjohnson

Any way to Cut In-to-Out?

danzg Level 1

Is there any way in CS6 to mark an In and Out point, then use Cut or Copy to lift the marked section (using whatever tracks are "on") for Pasting elsewhere?

Or is there some other way to accomplish this, without having to "add edits" ("razoring") the clips?

• 1. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
          danzg Level 1

Never mind, found the answer ... lifting/extracting actually puts the marked section into the clipboard automatically.

• 2. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
            needles27 Level 3

This edit is only ever talked about by ex-FCP users - myself included.  I used it all the time before, and have filed a feature request to have it as a shortcut.  I think people who have only ever used Premiere and have not been able to perform this command don't give it much thought.  But it can be incredibly useful.

• 3. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Are you talking about the Shift-X behavior in FCP? Refresh my memory: what's the difference between that and an extract?

• 4. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                needles27 Level 3

This is not extracting.  In FCP you can set your in/out points on a clip in the timeline, and hit cmd-c to copy just that portion of the clip.  Then you can paste it elsewhere on the timeline. (Or another timeline)  For example, it is useful if you have a bunch of long interview clips that you lay out on a scratch timeline and then just copy/paste the good footage into a new sequence.  In Premiere, you have to razor the in/out and copy the new subclip, or lift/extract, undo and then paste.  Not ideal, but not a showstopper either.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

In Premiere, you have to razor the in/out and copy the new subclip, or lift/extract, undo and then paste.

Or...you use the Source Monitor for it's intended purpose, instead of the sequence as a pseudo-Source Monitor.

• 6. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                    shooternz Level 6

I really like what Dan discovered in his post #1

I never knew that  action went into the clip board.

Stored in my memory ( aka... my forgettery)

• 7. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                      needles27 Level 3

Jim,

We have chatted about this item before.  Let me give an example of why it is useful to edit this way.

We shoot an hour long interview on a Canon 5D spanned over 6 10-minute clips.  There is no embedded timecode and I need to get it transcribed so the client can do a paper edit.  I lay the 6 clips out on a timeline, add a window burn timecode and send it to get transcribed.  Then, I get back a bunch of edits from the client based on this timecode.  Now, the easiest process is to go back to the sequence and mark an in point at minute 47 (for example) mark an out, hit cmd-C, and then paste that clip into my new sequence.   Otherwise, I would have to think That edit is in clip # 5, load it into the source monitor, jump to minute 7, mark my in/out, etc etc.  Over and over...

Another quick example - making buckets of themes by laying out interview clips on a timeline in groups, and then pulling the clips from those buckets.  It is a visual way to work - as if you are a photographer laying out all of your slides on a light table.  I guess the point is that everyone edits in a different way, and I am asking for a simple command that would impact how I use the software, and not impact those that don't care.  My feature request went in, and I'm just trying to explain why it is important to me and others.

If you have better workflow ideas for the examples I gave, please share.  I am not dogmatic and am always looking for what works for others. 

• 8. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

needles27 wrote:

This is not extracting.  In FCP you can set your in/out points on a clip in the timeline, and hit cmd-c to copy just that portion of the clip.  Then you can paste it elsewhere on the timeline. (Or another timeline).

You are speaking about Auto Select behavior. Are you sure you would want to add Auto-Select buttons and behavior to the Timeline panel? I recall this being very controversial when Auto-Select was added to the FCP interface in FCP 4.1. Editors were used to track selection for copy/paste and other operations prior to that. Apple then added Auto-Select buttons, which confused editors. They asked, "Which operations are controlled by track selection and which were controlled by Auto-Select?" How would it work in Premiere Pro?

needles27 wrote:

In Premiere, you have to razor the in/out and copy the new subclip, or lift/extract, undo and then paste.  Not ideal, but not a showstopper either.

Keep in mind that you can do an add edit on the fly with the uninterrupted playback feature. You couldn't do that prior to CS6.

• 9. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                          danzg Level 1
                          You are speaking about Auto Select behavior. Are you sure you would want to add Auto-Select buttons and behavior to the Timeline panel? I recall this being very controversial when Auto-Select was added to the FCP interface in FCP 4.1. Editors were used to track selection for copy/paste and other operations prior to that. Apple then added Auto-Select buttons, which confused editors. They asked, "Which operations are controlled by track selection and which were controlled by Auto-Select?" How would it work in Premiere Pro?

I always found FCP's dual track selection system annoying. I think Avid's is best. A track is either "on" or "off" -- that affects both copy/paste, lift/delete, AND patching. (With a nice auto-patching option, so that selected tracks would auto-patch to each other.) That would be my vote.

• 10. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

Dan123456123456 wrote:

Is there any way in CS6 to mark an In and Out point, then use Cut or Copy to lift the marked section (using whatever tracks are "on") for Pasting elsewhere?

Or is there some other way to accomplish this, without having to "add edits" ("razoring") the clips?

If you just want to Copy, Lift or Extract, then Undo immediately.

• 11. Re: Any way to Cut In-to-Out?
                              elizwebbjohnson

Dan, did you add this to the wishlist for Premiere?  I'm struggling with the same need.  Admittedly, I just began the switch from FCP and still am learning all the ins and outs of Premiere but I was surprised that I couldn't place an in and out point and then copy the selected tracks to paste them to a new timeline.

My issue is that I'm working with separate audio (common) and I've used PluralEyes to sync (because many of the clips did not use a slate) and PluralEyes creates synced sequences (timelines).   My process had been to then open these sequences and copy and paste portions into a NEW timeline so that all the content would be nice and pretty for my director to review.  The only solution I've found is to Lift or Extract, Undo and then go to the new timeline and Paste. Strange and takes extra time as well as caution (I need to remember to Undo).

If anyone else has a solution or thought on this, I'd appreciate it.  Like can I use the multi-cam feature in some way with one video and two audio tracks, then I'd be able to use the Source Monitor to pull the footage I want instead of in and out points.  But I haven't found a way to use this feature with separate audio.

Thanks.  Glad someone is talking about this.  I've been looking around for chatter on this simple question all day.