5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 12:39 AM by Harm Millaard

Add SSD for Cache's and Database

Jan Janowski

Hello.... Existing CS6 system.

Older Supermicro 8x Xeon Server...

Boot off 15K SCSI

Sata II Raid 0 Media drive (7200RPM)

Single 1TB SATA drive (7200RPM) for Projects and rendering

Single 1TB SATA drive (7200RPM) for PPRO/AE Caches (~100Gb Used)

Single 250Gb SATA drive (7200RPM) for Windows Cache.

If I was going to add one ~180Gb or so SSD drive,  Would I see a benifit by replacing the Drive for PPRO/AE Caches with an SSD?  Or, should I be better off move one PPRO Cache to one drive, and leave Database on other?   And if split them, which would benifit more with the SSD???

Thanks...

Jan

• 1. Re: Add SSD for Cache's and Database
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't bother. I know from a bragging rights point of view it is nice to say you use SSD's but I think it is a waste of money with this system. You have distributed the load nicely among your disks and the only thing that makes sense IMO is to possibly add a disk either to the Media drive (if it is seriously filling up) or  create a raid0 for the project disk, if you have a good backup policy and adhere to it. Otherwise, just leave it as it is.

• 2. Re: Add SSD for Cache's and Database
            Jan Janowski Level 1

Thank You, Harm!   

It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off someone!!!

• 3. Re: Add SSD for Cache's and Database
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Would I see a benifit by replacing the Drive for PPRO/AE Caches with an SSD?

If you set the SSD for use with the new Global Cache in After Effects CS6, I'd say yes, you'd see a very noticeable improvement.

• 4. Re: Add SSD for Cache's and Database
                Jan Janowski Level 1

Been testing with drives....  Instead of spending $$ for new SSD, added a couple Momentus XT drives I had around... Put one on SATA, one on USBV3 externally.

I've a 50 min project with gobs of AVCHD media, hundreds of pictures, multiple music tracks...

If I Clean the Cache's in PPRO, it takes 15+ min to reload caches, peeks, etc.  Seems to take forever the way it was..

So it's a good test project for data load balancing tests...

Note here that All the SATA Drives and controller is SATA II.... All SATA Drives are 7200RPM 32Mb R/WCache (Except H: & J which have 4Gb SSD Read Caches on them, too)

I'm finding that by putting PPRO Cache Files on one drive, and PPRO Cache Database on a different drive, that this speeds up the  Cache Rebuild, and project load once the Caches are updated..

I moved AE Disc Cache, and moved OS Cache back to SCSI Drive too....

So here's the latest:

C: OS/Programs        15K SCSI

E: Project files                 SATA

F: MEDIA  RAID               SATA

H: PPRO Cache Files       SATA  Momentus XT w/4GB SSD Cache

I:  PPRO Cache Database SATA

J: AE Disc Cache             SATA  Momentus XT w/4GB SSD Cache (USBV3)

This has sped things up better than before, but If I contune doing the tests I'm thinking of, I'll never get any work done.... So I post here....

My Questions...

1.  The H: drive is faster than the I: drive for Reads... About the same for Writes... I believe that PPRO Cache Files are more bandwidth intense than PPRO Cache Database.. So I put the more bandwidth intense operation on H: Drive...     Do you agree? 

2   PPRO Preview files... Should  they be best placed on the E: Drive, or I: Drive, or the J: drive, along with AE Disc Cache?

3.  I moved Windows cache back on C:   I think it was causing issues when on SATA.   Agree to keep it off SATA Buss?

Window 7 Ultimate OS, 24Gb Ram

• 5. Re: Add SSD for Cache's and Database
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Agree

2. Probably J. Depends a bit on your workflow, but wherever you put them, you will not notice any significant difference.

3. Agree.