6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2012 10:22 AM by Edward_01

How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?

Edward_01

I have about 1,200 ID2 files and need to bring them into ID6 whcih was just installed in our office.

I have tested simply opening the ID2 file in ID6 and that works fine. I checked carefully alignment, shading, and some other aspects of the converted file and so far all looks fine. I know that on Indesign forum some have posted about problems with batch conversion from ID4 to ID6 regarding text flow. I am not seeing such a problem doing things one at a time for ID2 to ID6.

Does Adobe have a script for batch conversion, or is there some other script available? The one that I found from a Google search indicates that it is for CS3 or later.

Any suggestions are welcome ... will do a lot of testing on copies of real data, and etc. before actually using.

We have many similar files used for newsletter, artwork, and books so perhaps 30 core indd type of files that have each been used to create 20 or more files, so this accounts perhaps for 600 or 800 of our Indd files. The rest would be one of a kind files. Files typically have 3 or 4 layers; some text flow; rarely text flow around an object; some background shading behind some text. Nothing very complicated.

• 1. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Whatever you do, don't overwrite your originals.

If you found a script for batch conversions for "CS3 and later," it should work fine for CS6. What's the trouble?

I'm not sure why you need to batch convert them all at once...why not deal with them as you need them?

p.s.: It's best not to refer to CS6 as "ID6" because that causes confusion. Under the hood, InDesign CS4 is Version 6.0; thus CS6 is Version 8. Just call it "CS6"

• 2. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
            Edward_01 Level 1

OK, this is a conversion from CS2 to CS6 for indesign files.

Our office work would be better served by converting things as a batch. Many files might not be looked at for another 5 years, and eventually the CS that exists at that time might not reach back that far to CS2. This is the experience and decision of our owner, I am just researching things. There are other reasons as well.

Again the only script I found via a google search indicates that it works for CS3 and later. I will probably contact that person directly and inquire if it works satisfactorily on CS2 files for indesign.

Posted here as one can get a wider spectrum of experience and perspectives.

• 3. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Again the only script I found via a google search indicates that it works for CS3 and later. I will probably contact that person directly and inquire if it works satisfactorily on CS2 files for indesign.

I think you've misunderstood. The conversation operation has no dependency on the source file version, only the destination (this is an oversimplification). The script is (most likely -- you haven't given us a link or anything, so it's hard to say) telling you that it needs CS3 or later to operate. But you have CS6, so that's great.

All the script does is tell InDesign to open the older version file. Just like you would manually. Except it does it over and over again.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
                Edward_01 Level 1

@ John Hawkinson  Thx for your patience. Here is link http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert_cs3.html

I think you might well be correct that what the script description is indicating is that the destination needs to be CS 3 or higher. I think I will simply try things out in a test environment.

I am pretty familiar with Indesign, but new to scripts for Indd, but not in first grade. Worked with vbs script a programmer we work with as a consultant to change some hyperlinks in our indd files to meet the new folder structure when we converted our website, yet I am a novice with the script thing.

• 5. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
                  Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edward,

As John said, 'CS3 or later' refers to the InDesign versioned to run the script. The works fine when run from CS6.

Peter

• 6. Re: How to batch convert ID2 to ID6 file?
                    Edward_01 Level 1

OP follow up:

Batch conversion has taken place and was totally successful. Thanks for the comments in this discussion.

Unlike some other discussions that have warned of difficulties in doing batch conversions, I did not encounter any problems with the converted files. It took < 2 hours to convert 1,200 files after having saved everything to an separate external hard drive as an offsite back up and fall back. The files that were converted were not terribly complex (several layers; lnks to images; hyperlinks; bookmarks; threaded text). I don't kow in detail the kind of problems others reported but thought my exp might be encouraging to others as it was an enormous time saver in terms of our office work flow. We do have precise alignment that is needed e.g. for the text and graphic imprint for making CDs where even 1/64th of an inch mis-alignment can be disaterous.