8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2008 9:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Confused with hotspots/slices

jpcubed
      Hi, totally new to this. Perhaps someone could help me:

I have Fireworks and Dreamweaver CS3. I have an image I created in Fireworks and within that image I am trying to create a navigation bar using just text. I thought that I could just make rectangular "hotspots" over my text and then set the link in the property manager to where I want it to go. This seems to work when I preview it in Fireworks, but when I send it over to Dreamweaver and preview it in browser it is no longer active. How can I get this to work? Is this even possible? Thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
          Level 7
          You cannot put a hotspot onto anything but an image. Perhaps this may help
          you -

Taking a Fireworks comp to a CSS-based layout in Dreamweaver
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/web_standards_layouts_pt1.html

Remember, the less you know about HTML and CSS, the more frustrating using
          DW will be....

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"jpcubed" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fsv412$s0n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi, totally new to this. Perhaps someone could help me:
          >
          > I have Fireworks and Dreamweaver CS3. I have an image I created in
          > Fireworks
          > and within that image I am trying to create a navigation bar using just
          > text. I
          > thought that I could just make rectangular "hotspots" over my text and
          > then set
          > the link in the property manager to where I want it to go. This seems to
          > work
          > when I preview it in Fireworks, but when I send it over to Dreamweaver and
          > preview it in browser it is no longer active. How can I get this to work?
          > Is
          > this even possible? Thanks in advance!
          >

• 2. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
            jpcubed Level 1
            Hello and thanks for your quick response. I visited that link you provided and navigated through the entire thing. I still have a few questions if I may:

On a training DVD that I have the instructor creates the same kind of nav bar as shown in the link you provided. I was hoping there was another style or way of doing it, so in short, is it possible to create different spots (fireworks text) on an image (jpg or otherwise) that can be made active to behave like hyperlinks? Thanks in advance
            • 3. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
              Gayle Duncan
              Sure you can. You can make buttons that are only text. From the Edit Menu in Fireworks CS3, select "Insert" then "New Button." This will pop up the button editor. If you use the text tool, you can simply type the text you want on the button. The background will have nothing in it, thus making it look like a text link. The "Up," tab is default state of the button. "Over" and "Down" tabs at the top of the window allow you to change the way the text looks when you mouse over or click the button, respectively. "Over While Down" is what happens when someone moves the mouse around your button while clicking...it's not overly useful to you, but Fireworks needs it to make your buttons into a navigation bar. The "Active Area" tab lets you move the hotspot around on your button. Once you have a finished a button, you can close the button editor and move your (text) button around on your image. You'd have to remove the text from your Fireworks image and re-type it in the button editor, but other than that it should work fine.
              • 4. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
                Gayle Duncan Level 1
                I should also add that if you want your text button to not change states (over, down, etc.) you can create your "up" state, click the remainder of the button editor tabs (over, down, etc.) and click the button in the lower right hand corner of the button editor. This button copies the previous button state to the new state. By doing that, you can create identical behavior for all the states, allowing the button to look like a simple text link.
                • 5. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
                  Gayle Duncan Level 1
                  Hey, I'm an idiot. (I'm fairly new to this, too.) If you have your image in Dreamweaver, and ALL you want to do is draw hotspots over your text links...there's a button for that, too.

With your picture up in Dreamweaver, go to the "common" tab on the Insert bar. From the picture drop-down menu, there's an option to draw a hotspot in several shapes. If all you want is a hotspot on your text link, this would be the easiest thing to do. Sorry you had to read all the previous posts.
                  • 6. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
                    jpcubed Level 1
                    Hi Gayle, thank you for your replies. However, what you suggested in your last post is exactly what i'm having trouble with. I created hotspots over all my text symbols within my entire images and it previews and works fine in fireworks, but shows nothing when I preview it in Dreamweaver browser preview. I'm sure there is a way to make it work correctly but surely i'm going about the wrong way doing it. I suspect it has to do with slicing. I'm unfamiliar with web design and I would love to learn. If anyone out there has any resources on how to tackle my little navigation bar project, i'd appreciate your help!
                    • 7. Confused with hotspots/slices
                      Gayle Duncan Level 1
                      Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly. Are you using Dreamweaver's hotspot tool, and not Fireworks'? My last post was for putting hotspots on a Dreamweaver page (from within Dreamweaver itself,) essentially taking Fireworks out of the equation. I'm sorry if that was not clear from the post. (Late start this morning, no coffee.)

The problem with having Fireworks do "webby"-things, is that it's not all that good at them. It's great for web images, buttons, etc. but writing code is not it's strong suit. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the hotspot links you are creating in Fireworks are not exporting to Dreamweaver. That is actually a fairly common issue. If you want your hotspot links to work in Dreamweaver, make them in Dreamweaver using the hotspot tool on the "Insert/Common" menu.

If I'm still not understanding you...just tell me to go drink more coffee.
                      • 8. Re: Confused with hotspots/slices
                        Level 7
                        If you have a button image, you do not need a 'hotspot' unless you are
                        wanting to add different links to different parts of the image. This
                        confusion is partly why most people will advise you to use FW to create your
                        images ONLY, and do all of your page building in DW.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"Gayle Duncan" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:ft0pu0$r75$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly. Are you using Dreamweaver's
                        > hotspot tool, and not Fireworks'? My last post was for putting hotspots on
                        > a
                        > Dreamweaver page (from with Dreamweaver itself,) essentially taking
                        > Fireworks
                        > out of the equation. I'm sorry if that was not clear from the post. (Late
                        > start
                        > this morning, no coffee.)
                        >
                        > The problem with having Fireworks do "webby"-things, is that it's not all
                        > that
                        > good at them. It's great for web images, buttons, etc. but writing code is
                        > not
                        > it's strong suit. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the hotspot
                        > links
                        > you are creating in Fireworks are not exporting to Dreamweaver. That is
                        > actually a fairly common issue. If you want your hotspot links to work in
                        > Dreamweaver, make them in Dreamweaver using the hotspot tool on the
                        > "Insert/Common" menu.
                        >
                        > If I'm still not understanding you...just tell me to go drink more coffee.
                        >