8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 12:44 PM by djfilms9

Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?

djfilms9 Level 1

I'm disgusted with the poor performance of AE CS5.5 on Mac. The memory handing is primitive. Cinema4D is smooth, and just works. In AE CS5.5, I render at 50% and quarter resolution and I still can't get 30 fps. I have a Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM (yes, 32 GB RAM) and AE still stutters and crawls. Why should I dick around with memory allocations? I've tried all combinations of multiple frame renders and not. C4D just works with no dicking around with preferences (you know, unlike MS DOS...), so competent memory processing is possible on the Mac platoform.

Anyone see any improvement with CS6 on Mac?

Any info gratefully received.

• 1. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to explain yourself. If you never get realtime playback even with RAM previews, this is completely unrealted and has nothing to do with the program's basic operation. Such issues point rto ther things like graphics cards or audio hardware bieng misconfigured.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
            djfilms9 Level 1

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB graphics card. Mac graphics cards don't need to be configured. You are correct... I should have phrased my question as follows:

What is preventing me from getting real-time previews (50% size, quarter resolution) on a Mac Pro 12-core / 24 threads 2.93 GHZ with 32 GB RAM?

• 3. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mac graphics cards don't need to be configured.

Well, you can change screen resolutions and desktop settings, can you not? So you "configure" them as you can get additional options by using specific tools or manualyl hacking conf/ plist files. Just because Apple chosses to hide them from you doesn't mean that the technicalities dfon't happen. anyway, as I was hinting, check your graphics "settings" and Quicktime components. if you use multiple monitors, use just one. If you use a certain screen res, try anotehr one. if you use color prtofiles, turn them off. If you use specific audio/ video hardware or programs, remove the relevant custom Quicktime components. And so on, and so on. I'm sure Dave and Rick can advise more specifically since they use Macs all day and need not rely on fading knowledge from an ageing 2006 MacBook Pro like I occasionally still use...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
                djfilms9 Level 1

Chaning screen resolutions is not necessary once I set up a workstation. You are stretching the concept of "configuring". The configuring you mentioned earlier is doing something like grekking your /unix/-r--f-s-t\\wini.ininini.config.sys files. Such is not required on a Mac. That's the actual point of a Mac. It's the same reason that I need not know how to rewire the phone closet jumpers in order to make a long-distance phone call: it's not my job. It's the job of OS and program makers to hide such behind-the-scenes fiddling.

The rest of your remarks amount to "dismantle your advanced workstation so it dumbs down enough so that AE works." Suggesting I use only one screen so AE works is absolute nonsense. I need 3 screens for my current project (cutting and pasting between 4 spreadsheet files). Further, every other non-Adobe program works with no problems on my current configuration: C4d, RealFlow, Vue xStream, Parallels, Dictate, and even MS Excel.  Ergo, its AE that's the problem, not my "configuration". Nor is it Quicktime components that's the problem. Nothing esle has a problem with QT. Once upon a time AE worked flawlessly on my Mac. In recent years, it has become problematic. When Adobe added Almighty Flash capabilities to AE (and who in their right mind uses Flash as a source file format?), QT and AIFF stopped working in the timeline. Huh? AIFF which pre-dates AE? QT which works on everything else? Look, Ma, no QA or beta testing.

I am looking for rational suggestions as to why AE doesn't work on my Mac. A third-party clipboard utility, perhaps? Reasonable. Multiple screens? Not reasonable.

Can anyone esle shed light on poor Adobe programming?

PS: Mylenium, if you don't use a Mac, why do you leap to AE's defence and offer advice on how to trouble-shoot Macs?

• 5. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
                  Sean Jenkin

Are you saying when you do a ram preview that you don't ever get up to full frame rate? Are you ram previewing with skip frames set to anything but 0?

• 6. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
                    djfilms9 Level 1

Sean,

Correct. I can't get a full 30 fps, even with 50% scale of the frame and quarter resolution. I spent 2 hours last night trying to fiddle with memory mangement (which I feel is the problem, but I may be in error). I don't have anything outrageous on my machine to hog cycles, and Activity Montior doens't offer any hlepful analysis, hence the squawk for help.

• 7. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
                      Sean Jenkin Level 1

To me, if it was memory issues, I think you'd be seeing only a portion of what you want ram previewed actually making it into the preview. That's been my experience anyway.

Any chance you can screen capture the experience?

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Has AE CS6 fixed the memory handling problems on Mac?
                        djfilms9 Level 1

Found the culprit. I used Activity Monitor to force quit the Flash plug-in for Safari. I can now get proper RAM previews at full speed and with 50% size and quarter resolution. i can live with that. I did not re-start my Mac or otherwise change anything significant.

Hands up all those who said Steve Jobs was out to lunch...

LATE FLASH (heh heh heh)

I used Activity Monitor to force quite a process "AdobeQT32 server" and now I can get 12080x720 half resolution at fiull 30 fps.  go figure.