2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 1:34 AM by Guy Burns

Creating a "tabbed" image in an exported PDF or SWF

Guy Burns Level 1

I posted about this last year, well in advance of actually doing it, and thought I had the correct answer (see http://forums.adobe.com/message/3759403#3759403). However, now that I've had a detailed look at CS6 and tried to create a "tabbed" PDF (my original term, but more correctly called a multi-state object with interactive buttons), I find that it can't be done. Although maybe it can, hence this post.

I'm trying to make a file (PDF, SWF, whatever) exported from CS6 that can be opened by virtually any novice computer user without hassle. i.e something like a PDF; something my grandmother could open and marvel at the cleverness of her grandson. Here are some options I've tried.

Method 1

Export a "tabbed" image from CS6 to Interactive PDF format. Unfortunately, "tabbed" images don't tab. Or have I not ticked the right options when exporting?

Method 2

Export to SWF format, with the HTML option ticked. But that seems to generate two separate files: an swf file and a .html file. Clicking on the latter opens the file in a web browser – so far so good, and it works like a charm – but I don't like the idea of two files when I send them to my grandmother. I suppose I could encapsulate both of them in a zip file, tell her to open that, and then open the one with the suffix .html… but you can see the process is getting complicated, probably beyond my poor old Nanna.

Method 3

Export to PDF (Print). To get this to work for "tabbed" images, this is what I envisage (not yet tried).

1. Say I have three images that I want to overlay and tab between, like you can do in Photoshop. I set up multiple interactive buttons (Next, Back, Skip…), appropriate text anchors, and whatever else is needed, on three separate pages, with the three images in identical locations on those pages.
      2. The user comes to the first image, checks out the image, then hits Next. The page seems to instantly change to the next image (on the next page).
      3. The user then hits Next or Back or Skip.

In the above thought experiment, I think I have simulated "tabbed" images at the cost of additional pages. Any novice user could easily open the document, though I'd have to make sure the navigation is very clear and simple to use.

I welcome any comments on obtaining "tabbed" images from a document exported from CS6.

• 1. Re: Creating a "tabbed" image in an exported PDF or SWF
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

MSOs are for SWF and DPS only. They don't work in PDF.

You could do the MSO as a separate file and export to SWF then place that into your ID file and export, but if you're expecting to do an entire document like that you'll be very disappointed.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a "tabbed" image in an exported PDF or SWF
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks Bob. I posted a short while ago, but have edited that post.

With further playing around I was able to get your suggestion working (exporting to SWF, then placing, then exporting as Interactive PDF). Why would I be disappointed if I tried that method with an entire document? My document will probably contain about 200 pages, and maybe 20 of them would have "tabbed" images. What problems would I come across, other than the extra time involved in separately generating 20 pages of "tabbed" images.

[Added after some testing]:

One problem I have found is that text is rasterised.

1. When I export a page from InDesign to SWF, and then open the SWF file in Flash Player (Projector), text is a vector.
            2. When the SWF file is imported back into InDesign, and exported as a Interactive PDF, the text ends up rasterised…
            3. But if I export as SWF, the text is not rasterised.

CS6 is rasterising the text within a SWF file when it exports to PDF. Is there a way of exporting an SWF file to Interactive PDF so that text is not rasterised?