3 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 8:48 AM by TradeWind

Can I have insert edits only apply to the selected tracks?

ajune86

I can describe this better with a screencap than I can with words. This is a before-and-after pic, where I'm inserting the clip "Farmer" (using the comma key in the Source monitor).http://i.imgur.com/2gWwj.png

As you can see, even though only the Video 2 track is selected, the insert edit pushes clips around on every track. Now, I'm terribly inexperienced, and I'm not sure if this is typical behaviour or a setting I've somehow toggled, but I can't find a way to have insert edits only affect the track they're on (or the active/selected tracks). Is there a way to do that?

For illustration, here I am performing the same action in Avid. This is what I'd like to happen; the insert edit only applies to the track the insertion occurs on.

http://i.imgur.com/Qhjp9.png

I'd very much appreciate someone clarifying why the difference in behaviour exists, and whether I can change it.

• 1. Re: Can I have insert edits only apply to the selected tracks?
          TradeWind Level 3

I'm not aware that this can be done in PPro exactly as you mentioned.

You CAN basically just lock all the other tracks before you do  your insert. If you hold SHIFT while clicking the lock icon on one of the video/audio tracks, it will lock all the tracks (video or audio). Then you can single click the track you want to unlock and perform your overlay, then SHIFT+Click again on one of the locked tracks to unlock all the tracks again.

Obviously not the answer you want (since there are multiple steps involved). Hope that's helpful

• 2. Re: Can I have insert edits only apply to the selected tracks?
            ajune86 Level 1

Locking the other tracks does work, and I guess that's what I'll have to do for now. But it seems like there must be some way to do insert edits like this naturally, I can't imagine why the "insert space on every track" functionality is the default in Premiere.

• 3. Re: Can I have insert edits only apply to the selected tracks?
              TradeWind Level 3

ajune86 wrote:

I can't imagine why the "insert space on every track" functionality is the default in Premiere.

Agreed. I think this would make an excellent feature request, I just did so:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:

Allow insert edits on a per track basis

How would you like the feature to work?

Allow a modifier key (for example, SHIFT+,) that would allow an insertedit to affect only the active tracks. Also allow the same functionality when assets are relocated on the timeline using the CTRL modifier key for insert (could also be modified by CTRL+SHIFT possibly)

Why is this feature important to you?

Currently the only way to perform an insert edit on the timeline is to break/shift ALL assets on the timeline, and it would be helpful to occasionally allow only the assets on the current track to be affected.