9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2012 2:49 PM by Jim_Babbage

Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac

suntrop Level 1

I don't know if this a bug or is because of color settings on my mac.

When I select a color, from the properties bar at the bottom, and choose in HSV mode 0 100 50 FW makes it 0 100 42. The color value is always some % under the value I selected. Regardless what I select.  I can see when I click "ok" that the color turns just a little bit darker. Even other color picker tools say it is 0 100 43. But it is just from the HSV not RGB pallet.

Is this a bug in FW?

I am using an iMac, 27" mid 2011 and OS X 10.7.3 (11D50b) with FW CS 5 v. 11.1.0.205

EDIT:

Updated to 10.7.4 just now. Nothing better. And I noticed the brigter or darker the color is the less the change will be

what-i-select.png

what-fw-put-in.png

Message was edited by: suntrop

• 1. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
          groove25 Level 4

I think you're describing the same problem we've been discussing in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1011331?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
            suntrop Level 1

Thanks for the link. I did't see that thread in search.

• 3. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
              groove25 Level 4

Suntrop:

I've taken a close look at this problem, identified the cause, and outlined what I believe is a reasonable solution for the Fireworks development team to pursue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4443707#4443707

I encourage you to post a bug report with Adobe regarding this issue, referencing the above thread as well as your own post.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The more people request a fix for this issue, the more likely it is to get done.

• 4. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                suntrop Level 1

Thanks again :-) Did send the bug report to Adobe.

Your bug-solution is fine, but I am waiting and praying there will be an update. Unfortunately Adobe is pretty reseverd with FW updates. The last couple of days I was considering to update. Hope the bug is not in CS6 as well.

• 5. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                  groove25 Level 4

Glad to hear you submitted a bug report. I just finished sending one myself.

In fact, I realized afterwards that this same issue affects Dreamweaver and Flash, as well. If you own these products, it might be worth the time to send in a bug report for each affected application.

I'm guessing the bug still exists in CS6, but I haven't been able to test it out yet.

• 6. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                    suntrop Level 1

Done :-) Hope Flash Authoring is right. I haven't used Flash for 5 years.

I checked AI and PS and didn't find any problem. Actually AI hasn't such a color picker I think. PS works fine.

AFAIK Adobe doesn't fix bugs from older version only current versions get updates.

I was considering to update my suite. But will wait for OS X 10.8 – I am afraid things won't work like after updating to Lion. Anyway hope the bug isn't in CS6.

• 7. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                      groove25 Level 4

Just installed CS6 on Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Fireworks has a new color swatches/picker layout. It's larger, and the default palette is no longer limited to web-safe colors. It also accepts hexidecimal shorthand (e.g., #963) and RGB values. It's a move forward, though a modest one. However, the same problem involving integration with the Mac OS Color Picker that existed in CS5 and earlier still exists. It has not been fixed.

Here's what's interesting: The problem has been fixed in Dreamweaver CS6.

Flash, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver were all originally Macromedia products. They all used the same swatches-based color picker that linked to a System Color Picker option. That's why these three applications have suffered from this problem, whereas Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign have not. But for some reason, of these three, only Dreamweaver's development team has finally addressed this longstanding problem. How did they do it? By changing the default profile used by the Mac OS Color Picker. Whereas I'd suggested changing this default to the user's display profile, they're setting the default to "Device RGB". (I imagine this has the same effect?)

Dreamweaver 6 + Device RGB.png

I'm glad to see some progress here, but why on earth are the development teams not talking to each other about something as fundamental as this? How has this fix not been implemented into all three affected applications?

I still think that anyone who's purchased CS5 in the past year deserves a fix for this in all three of the affected applications.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                        suntrop Level 1

Thanks for your reply and the cool work – hope someone from Adobe will come across :-) It's funny, the only fix went to an application that has the least graphical work to do.

However, I found another solution. If you use Fireworks Color Palette from the floating panels (I think it is Color Palette > Selector in English) the brightness won't change. Probably it is not the OS color picker as you said and hasn't the bug.

Bildschirmfoto 2012-05-31 um 20.04.39.png

• 9. Re: Color Selection Bug in CS5 on Mac
                          Jim_Babbage Level 4

I have reached out to the Fireworks dev team directly about this issue.