4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 1:24 PM by olafurjon92

Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching

LMoserHuntNY

Hi there.

I've been a happy Mac user of Premiere in CS5.5.2. Now, eagerly hoping CS6 in Creative Cloud will bring improvements, I'm getting paralyzing glitches.

My system: Mac Pro 8-core 3.1 (early 2008), 32G memory, OS 10.6.8, Quadro 4000 for Mac, NVidia recommended drivers for card and CUDA for 10.6.8.

Software - just updated to 6.0.1.

After importing AVCHD source clips and setting them up in the timeline I get the following symptoms.

1. See a single frame when playing

2. Viewer shows garbage when resized,

3. Program hangs when quitting (not responding)

PP in CS 5.5.2 runs great. Hoping for some help from the experts ...

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There is an issue with spanned AVCHD clips.  Does that apply here?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching
            Jim Curtis Level 3

You and I have identical systems.  I have an external RAID and Kona, but the rest is the same.

Try a new project with another type of footage.  As Simon Says, there's a known bug with AVCHD.  That way, you can tell if your issue is related to your footage, or the app.

My observation is that the most common problems with Pr are: corrupted prefs, corrupted footage, corrupted application. 

Another one is that it takes Adobe a few iterations of each major Pr release to get the kinks worked out.  Pr 6.0.2 will probably be ready for prime time.  I'm using it now, successfully, but mostly with ProRes footage.  AVCHD and HDV are the two last codecs I'd ever recommend. They're both fraught with headaches.  But, since they're really popular at the low end, that's where the majority of customers are, and will have their due paid in good time.  If your issue isn't one of my top three, your best bet may be to keep using 5.5 until the dust clears.

In the meantime try launching with shift-option held down.  That will reset your prefs and clear your cache.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching
              LMoserHuntNY Level 1

Sage advice, Jim - Thanks a lot!

I knew it would be chancy to try software at first release. Normally I wait a few revs, but the Creative Cloud price is seductive. I'll try a conversion to ProRes and see how it goes.

Of course, for those of us using AVCHD, Premiere has had the major advantage of eliminating transcoding, and worked really well for me since CS4, and 5.5 is awesome with CUDA. Most of my work is shooting concerts and similar events, 1 to 3 hours long, with between two and four cams, generating way too much data for practical archiving (for me at least) if transcoded.

So - following your advice, I'll mess around a bit, and mostly stick with 5.5 'till things get cleaned up in 6.

Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 07:24:32 -0600

To: laracord@hotmail.com

Subject: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching

Re: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching

created by Jim Curtis in Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 - View the full discussion

You and I have identical systems.  I have an external RAID and Kona, but the rest is the same. Try a new project with another type of footage.  As Simon Says, there's a known bug with AVCHD.  That way, you can tell if your issue is related to your footage, or the app. My observation is that the most common problems with Pr are: corrupted prefs, corrupted footage, corrupted application.   Another one is that it takes Adobe a few iterations of each major Pr release to get the kinks worked out.  Pr 6.0.2 will probably be ready for prime time.  I'm using it now, successfully, but mostly with ProRes footage.  AVCHD and HDV are the two last codecs I'd ever recommend. They're both fraught with headaches.  But, since they're really popular at the low end, that's where the majority of customers are, and will have their due paid in good time.  If your issue isn't one of my top three, your best bet may be to keep using 5.5 until the dust clears. In the meantime try launching with shift-option held down.  That will reset your prefs and clear your cache.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4441202#4441202

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4441202#4441202. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS6, Mac, Video Play Glitching
                olafurjon92

I'm getting no response when quitting as well.  It's happening everytime I try to quit premiere,  I'm working with either HDSLR or RED footage.

I noticed that it started after I got a random error message sometime when I was organizing footage from a RED shoot.  That one said premiere had encountered a serious error and needed to quit immedietly.