4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2012 1:12 PM by Andy T2

CS5 Settings

steverup50

Looking for a few answers on project settings.

I asked a cameraman to shoot 1280x720 30 fps. When I received the P2 footage, it shows in the project bin (Premiere CS5) as 960x720. Is this  a setting issue when I set up the project or on the camera’s end? Or this is normal? Also, I see the option in the settings for Sony EX (when I set up a new project) but nothing for Panasonic P2 – what settings should I use for  a project with 1280x720 P2 footage?

Thanks, Steve

• 1. Re: CS5 Settings
          Andy T2 Adobe Employee

For P2 clips shot at 1280x720, our pixel indication of 960x720 is correct. The 1280x720 Panasonic P2 format uses a Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 1.33 for DVCPRO HD and AVC-Intra 50, which means that the pixels are non-square. We apply the ratio so that it will display at 1280x720.

As to the sequence preset to use, there are a number of ways to go about it. If you want to select the Sequence manually, you need to know what type of Panasonic P2 footage you have. We support DVCPRO HD and AVC-Intra. In the New Sequence dialog, choose the media type first, and twirl down the reveal triangle. Then you will see the Sequence presets for each type; there's a set of 720p presets for each media type. You could also simply import a clip, then drag it to the New Item icon (at the bottom of the Project panel, next to the Trash icon), and Premiere will create a new sequence for you. I hope this information is helpful.

-- Andy, Premiere Pro Team

• 2. Re: CS5 Settings
            steverup50 Level 1

Andy:

When set up the project, I selected HDV 720p 30… not knowing what to select,  I used this.

Under DVCPro,. I only see 720p 24… my footage is 30fps.

Next time, should I use AVC Intra – 720p 30?

I believed the cameraperson used and HVX200

Steve

• 3. Re: CS5 Settings
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Steve,

As Andy suggests, drag a clip to the New Item button, it creates a sequence that matches the clip settings precisely. This is great, because sometimes the camera operator may not always give you accurate info.

See this Help article: Create a Sequence

• 4. Re: CS5 Settings
                Andy T2 Adobe Employee

Steve, thanks for your response. Kevin is correct in saying that when the preset is not available, dragging the clip to the New Item button is the best option. You could also select the DVCPRO HD 720p60 preset, go to the Settings tab, and change it to 30p in the Timebase popup menu (the option will read 29.97 frames/second). If you wish, you could then save this as a custom preset for future use. Nonetheless, we have found the New Sequence from Clip process to be reliable.

-- Andy, Premiere Pro Team