4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2012 11:46 AM by James Edmunds

PP6: AVCHD files coming in as AVC-Intra 100

James Edmunds Level 1

In Premirere Pro CS6, In importing files into a sequence, or in creating a sequence by dropping a .MTS file on the new item icon, the .MTS files that were interpreted as AVCHD in PP5.5, are within PP6.0 matched to AVC-Intra 100. This happens whether the file is selected in AVCHD view or File Directory view. If I attempt to bring in a .MTS clip into a sequence that has been created as an emply sequence with AVCHD settings, dragging an .MTS file into that sequence results in a prompt to change the sequence settings to match the clip (which then changes the sequence setting to AVC-Intra 100).

I have not detected any downside to this as I work, but it of course is of interest to know why these clips demand being treated this way - in Premiere Pro 5.5, these files were consistently treated as AVCHD files (some of the same clips, in fact, I have tested).

FWIW, clips are being created by SONY NX70U. System is Windows 7 on Dell XPS, 12GB memory (at least until UPS gets here with my memory upgrade this afternoon ;-)).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide insight into this,

James Edmunds

New Iberia, LA

• 1. Re: PP6: AVCHD files coming in as AVC-Intra 100
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I haven't noticed that myself.  My guess is you're getting the prompt not because of the codec, but because there is a genuine difference between the clip's properties and the sequence - resolution, frame rate, PAR, field order, etc.

• 2. Re: PP6: AVCHD files coming in as AVC-Intra 100
            James Edmunds Level 1

That might explain it on clips brought into existing sequences, but I get a different result when creating a sequence in 5.5 from 6.0,1

Taking the same .MTS file, importing it into project, then creating a new sequence by dragging the clip onto the New Item icon, I get:

Premiere Pro 5.5 - AVCHD 1080i 29.97 fps

Premiere Pro 6.0 - AVC-Intra 100 1080i 60 Hz

Apparently between the two versions of PP, the codec is being interpreted differently. I am not sure what practical effect this may have on things, as I have not moved into any actions or procedures in which this has caused a problem, other than the warning when dropping one of these clips into a sequence that was set for AVCHD.

Thanks,

James

• 3. Re: PP6: AVCHD files coming in as AVC-Intra 100
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I see that you're right.  I downloaded a couple of clips and tested.  Two of the AVCHD clips created AVC-I sequences, and one created an AVCHD sequence.  The one that was different was PAL and had 5.1 audio.  The other two were NTSC with stereo audio.

I don't know if the frame rate or the audio made any difference, but there it is.

• 4. Re: PP6: AVCHD files coming in as AVC-Intra 100
                James Edmunds Level 1

Yes, mine that have been coming in AVC-I in PP 6.0 are also NTSC with stereo audio, so that much is consistent.

Thanks,

James