14 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 4:08 PM by Bengaldad

Mercury Transmit - What hardware?

Jim Curtis Level 3

Does it work with any hardware yet? 

If so, which hardware?

And how well?

• 1. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

I guess BlueFish works... at least Dave Helmly sez so.

Matrox released their new drivers yesterday:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Drivers Now Available

I would like to hear user success stories.. whatever hardware they use!

What's the best third party hardware for CS6 Adobe Mercury Transmit?

• 2. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
            Jim Curtis Level 3

According to that video (Dave Helmly), Transmit is working with the AJA io XT.  Yet, when I go to the AJA site, and look for a driver for the io XT, I get the same rigamarole as with the Kona... "AJA Mac Plug-ins for Adobe CS6 Coming Soon."

So... what? 

If AJA has beta drivers, why don't they post them?  They posted betas for FCPX and MC6, IIRC.  I'm not sure what to read into this, if anything.

AJA did respond to my query about delivery date for drivers on May 7, and they said, "any time now."

I hope to be reading reports from Matrox users in the next few days.

• 3. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
              needles27 Level 3

I have the AJA LHi. It's that tough balance - I don't want buggy software, but I do need the drivers ASAP... I thought it would be a matter of days after the release of CS6 so they could put finishing touches, but it has certainly dragged on.

I know that a few people here have the AJA beta drivers - are you seeing lots of buggy behavior and any issues with Transmit?

• 4. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                Bengaldad Level 1

I had my Matrox MXO2 Mini working fine with Premiere Pro CS5.5.  I downloaded and installed the new matrox drivers for CS6 and I no longer even have the option to choose the Matrox MXO2 Mini in Premiere Pro's Player preferences.  Furthermore, when I went back and reinstalled the Matrox driver that had been working with CSD5.5, it too had quit working even when I selected it as the Player in PP preferences.  Just black was displayed on my external monitor.  If anyone has been successful getting a Matrox MXO2 Mini to work with Premiere Pro CS6 (latest version), please let me know.

Tom

• 5. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                  Kuhnen Brown Level 1

The Matrox release of the Mac 3.1 driver for my MXO2 mini MAX hit the sweet spot. It works great with my hdmi monitor.  This new Mac driver will ONLY work with OS X 10.7.4 and you must have Premiere Pro 6.0.1 installed.  It's really sweet working with an XDCam EX 1080p timeline. Oh, and the audio is in sync, and has no drop outs.  Mercury Transmit has saved the day.  Oh... forgot to mention how great the MXO2 mini works with Photoshop and After Effects.  I'm happy.

Brown

• 6. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                    Bengaldad Level 1

Brown,

Thanks for the information.  I am glad that the Mac 3.1 driver is working for you with the MXO2 Mini, Premiere Pro 6.0.1, and OS 10.7.4.  I have all the same on my Mac Pro, but after I installed the Mac 3.1 driver, I did not even have the optionto select the MXO2 in Premiere Pro under Preferences, Player setting.  I have no idea why the driver has failed to work on my system.  I do have CS5.5 still installed on this machine as well as PP 6.0.1 and perhaps that is causing a problem.  I also noticed with the install of the Matrox 6.0.1 package I lost the Matrox Ventura Capture and Playback software that Matrox had included with the previous driver.  I finally have gone back to the matrox 2.5 driver which even though it no longer works with CS5.5.2 as it did before installing the 3.1 driver, I at least still have the Ventura capture software and my MXO2 Mini works fine as a capture device.

Tom

• 7. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                      Kuhnen Brown Level 1

Tom,

Premiere Preferences > Playback settings.  Default Player = Adobe (Adobe is sending out the video through their Mercury Transmit pipe).  Below that is the Audio Devices setting which is set to Matrox.  Below that is the Video Device setting which is set to Matrox player.  Next to that is a "setup..." prompt, which is asking if you want to output 8-bit or 10-bit video.  These settings are doing the job for me.  Try creating a new sequence, add some video to it, and see what happens. I am not sure legacy sequences are Mercury Transmit aware.  Also remember your sequence settings (e.g. 720p 29.97) should match the WYSIWYG format setting in Matrox utilities (System Prefs).

I believe the docs that came with the 3.1 driver mention Ventura capture is currently enabled on PC's only.  Not sure when we Macs will get that feature returned to us.

Broiwn

• 8. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                        Bengaldad Level 1

Brown,

Thank you so much for your helpful response.  I very much appreciate it.

Last night I did get the Matrox MXO2 Mini to work with Premiere Pro CS5.5 by going back to the Matrox 2.5 driver.  I then uninstalled that driver and reinstalled the Matrox 3.1 driver, but it was still a no go with CS6.0.1.  When I create a new project, bring in a video clip and select PP Preferences, Playback Settings, I do have the Default Player = Adobe, but in the Audio Devices setup area I don't have any option to set to Matrox, and in the Video Device area I have only one option which is Adobe DV, i.e. under the Video Devices I don't have any option to select Matrox Player under Video Devices.   Clearly for some reason the Matrox 3.1 driver is not workign properly for me.  It may be becuase I had CS5.5 installed when I installed CS6. 

Did you have Premiere Pro CS5.5 installed on your Mac when you installed PP CS6 and when you installed the Matrox 3.1 driver?  That is the only difference in our setups that I can see. I'll keep working to get my Matrox MXO2 Mini working with PP CS6.0.1 and let you know how it goes.  Once again thanks for all your help.

Tom

• 9. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                          Kuhnen Brown Level 1

Tom,

I did a total uninstall of all the CS 5.5 programs when I installed CS6 on my Mac Pro.  I still have the 5.5 Production suite on my laptop, primarily because I use On Location a lot, and it did not ship with CS6.0.  You may already know this, but it's worth repeating for anyone else reading this thread. Matrox wants old drivers taken completely off the drive before installing the Mac 3.1 driver.  Use the Matrox uninstall utility.  Also note the install also includes a hardware update, and with the MXO2 mini, be sure to unplug the power AFTER the install does a shutdown, and plug in the power BEFORE rebooting the MacPro.  Something is happening that is preventing you from getting a full install of the new driver.  Not sure what it is. Oh, as a matter of habit I always run disk utility's Repair Permissions before and after a driver install.  If you re-install CS6.0 it would be a good idea to repair permissions.   By the way my system has the GEforce GTX 285.  Not sure what Adobe did in Premiere 6.0.1, but the performance factor really improved.

Brown 

• 10. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                            Bengaldad Level 1

Brown,

Success at last!!! 

Here is what it took to get my Matrox MXO2 Mini to work with PP CS6.0.1.  I uninstalled the driver for the Matrox Mini using the Matrox uninstall program and restarted my Mac. I uninstalled CS5.5 using the Adobe Uninstall application.  I then  used Adobe Cleaner app to remove all traces of CS5.5 as well as any older installations of CS. I rebooted and repaired permissions. I rebooted and installed the Matrox 3.1 driver.  I opened PP CS6.0.1, imported a file, created a sequence, and then looked for the Matrox device in the video seciton of Playback Preferences.  It was not there, so no go.  I then uninstalled CS6 (the entire suite of programs) using the Adobe Uninstaller.  I uninstalled the Matrox driver and rebooted.  I repaired permissions again. I installed CS6 (the entire suite), downloaded and installed all updates, and repaired permissions again.  I then rebooted, and once again I installed the Matrox 3.1 driver.  I opened PP 6.0.1, created a new project, imported some footage, created a squence that matched the footage, and this time when I wnet to Playback Settings in Preferences there was the Matrox device in both my audio and video setting.  It was already selected in the Vdeo setting, and when I played the project back it displayed baeutifully on my 1080p monitor.

I will never know what caused the problem intitially, but I can tell you that each time I repaired permission, there were no errors and so I can eliminate that.  Otherwise, I have no idea what caused the failure of the Matrox driver to communicate proeprly with PP CS6.0.1. 

I want to thank you once more for all your help.  I probalby would never have gone through the hours of work I did had I not known that you had been sucessful with your Mac getting the driver to work. 

Incidentally, I have the GTX 285 installed in my Mac Pro as well and PP CS6.0.1 flies with this video card.

Again, thank you for your patience and full descriptions that helped me solve this problem.

Tom

• 11. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                              Kuhnen Brown Level 1

Tom,

Glad to hear your success story.For sure, having Premiere 6.0.1 installed BEFORE installing the Matrox driver is critical. I just discovered another bonus today with the Matrox/Adobe Transmit pipe.  I can monitor video in Prelude!

My best.

Brown

• 12. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                                Bengaldad Level 1

I always had PP 6.0.1 installed before installing the Matrox driver, but somehow it still did not install the driver effectively until I went through all the steps I described in my previous e-mail.

Yes, I just discovered that Prelude video can be monitored now with the Matrox Mini. 

I have been capturing some S-VHS footage (4:3 of course) that I made several years ago with the Matrox Mini using the S-video input and the S-video output from my JVC S-VHS deck.  Capturing these old video memories is a principle reason that I purchased the Matrox Mini. Unfortunately, every so many minutes I find that the Capture window in PP CS6.0.1 reports that "the video input has been lost" and prompts me to save the file.  This occurs at irregular intervals.  Sometimes I can capture 6-7 minutes of continuous video before this dialog box pops up and capture ceases.  Other times it occurs after capturing only 2-3 minutes.  I don't see any indication when watching the tape played back that video is dropping out, and I don't have "abort when dropped files are encountered" checked, but still the problem persists. I am capturing to the Matrox I-frame format.  It may be that this occurs only for these old tapes, but I have never noticed the problem when I was capturing them in the Matrox Ventura Capture software. I don't think it is a drive speed problem becuae I am capturing these  to a 2 TB Raid 0 with about 65% free space on it.

Tom

• 13. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                                  Kuhnen Brown Level 1

Tom,

I have experienced similar capture interruptions with plain VHS, using Ventura capture. I attribute the issue to tape age, dropouts, and software trying to capture analog video. I dropped by the Matrox web site where they directed me to the approppriate forum for requests.  I am hoping they give us back the Matrox Ventura utilities in a future Mac driver update.  Ventura works great bringing in DVCam footage from my Sony DSR-50 deck via component cables. The Matrox mini can even uprez the footage from 480 interlace to 720p. I thought Ventura Captiure offered more choices than the I-frame format... can't remember.

Brown

• 14. Re: Mercury Transmit - What hardware?
                                    Bengaldad Level 1

Brown,

I agree that Matrox needs to bring back the Ventura Capture software to the Mac, and I am sure that you are correct about what caused the loss of video signal on my VHS tape captures.  In fact, upon closely watching the monitor window during capture I could see a very quick glitch each time just as the signal was lost.  I solved the problem with these VHS tapes by discovering that I had originally recorded this footage on DV tape and then capturing that using firewire and  DV Capture in PP CS6.0.1.  That worked perfectly with no dropouts. 

The I-frame format that Matrox offers is a good high quality format for capturing analog footage.  I have been quite impressed with the results of using that format.

Thank you again for all your help, and god luck with your editing and your Matrox MXO2 Mini.

Tom