10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 5:21 AM by neil wilkes

edit original, photoshop file  grayed out

welchphoto Level 1

I am running CS5.5.

I Just started a new project. I made a title in Photoshop CS5 I imported it into my Premiere project dropped it on the time line and it works. But when I tried to Edit Original the command is grayed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Just open Photoshop and edit it.  The changes will show up once you save it.

• 2. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
            welchphoto Level 1

Hi

Well I am doing that but it is a pain. That isn't how it worked in version 5.

Is this another we will fix it later problem.

Adobe seems to be haveing a lot of that maybe they should I don't know TEST IT FIRST

• 3. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
              jstrawn Adobe Employee

Do you have Photoshop installed already? If so, there should be an option to 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop' is that greyed out too?

• 4. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                welchphoto Level 1

SOB!    Boy is my face red!

I never even saw that! It is right there and I didn't see it!!!

I have been using the Edit Original for years do I just go for that. But still IT's RIGHT THERE!!!

Damn I guess I better get my eyes checked.

And I do not have a suite I just have PS & P a very old After Effects but the PS and P are both in the CS5 group.

Thanks Jim

• 5. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I am running CS5.5.

I Just started a new project. I made a title in Photoshop CS5

I anticipate that this points to why Edit in Photoshop is not available to you. As Jstrawn asks, do you have Production Premium, or Master Collection - one of the suites?

Edit in Photoshop is a close-cousin to Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL), and needs the suite, to be effective. Same for Edit in Audition, or the ADL to/from AE and En.

Without the suite, if one just has stand-alone programs, they do not normally communicate with each other, though there might be some exceptions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One does not need the suite to Edit in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Just tried this on a system with an older version of PS installed, and you are correct. So long as the PSD file affiliation is set correctly in the OS, I got Edit in Photoshop - was not grayed out for me.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 8. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                        jstrawn Adobe Employee

I have re-phrased my response to make it NOT sound like having the suite is a requirement for the 'Edit in Adobe Photshop' option to appear.

If you have Photoshop stand-alone installed you will still get that option, in most cases. It just needs to be able to see that Photoshop has been installed. However, I've run tests where I had the suite installeld, installed a later version in addition to the newer suite version, and then upon choosing 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop', the file opend in that later standalone version of PrPro because the OS had changed the affilliation to that version upon install.

I know that there are also cases where the affilitation has been inadvertently set away from Photoshop altogether. Knowing that the user has installed the suite (or both standalone prodcuts of the same version) virtually eliminates that possibility. But in this case, the user was just not seeing the menu item.

@ welchphoto... Perfectly understable mistake. I've done that too. I'm just glad it we could solve it quickly for you.

• 9. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As long as the PS file is one layer the option Edit Original is available.

If the PS file is a nested sequence the option will be grayed out.

• 10. Re: edit original, photoshop file  grayed out
                            neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With apologies for reopening a long dead thread.

This is still happening to me in part.

"Edit in Photoshop" remains resolutely greyed out no matter what I do. The registry path is set correctly, and the file types are also both set to open in Photoshop but this makes absolutely no difference to this command being available.

I *can* use "Edit Original" as long as the file type is set to open in Photoshop but this is a workaround and not really a good one either because what I need to be able to do is quickly open & view the file in the Windows default application - it loads a hell of a lot faster plus it allows me to skip through a whole folder with the "next" button. I should not lose this functionality to force "edit original" to open PhotoShop as to my mind the command should be available otherwise why is it there (or there but not available in my case).

Info that may be relevant.

After a recent CC update where the manager updated with no trouble, there was a Photoshop update also available that I have never been able to install - it fails every single time. I even tried uninstalling Photoshop from Add/Remove programs to reinstall from the CC application but that also failed - rolling back left me with a working PhotoShop but the CC manager now thinks it is not installed even though it plainly is. I shall also go post this in the PhotoShop forums as well because my system now thinks it is not there when it is, but I cannot update it as every time I try it fails.