10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2008 12:15 AM by Brian Stew

Director Podcast # 38 Posted - "The Reveal" - We explain yesterday

skiplondon
      Hey Director Podcast Fans!

This episode is an explanation of our April Fool's Day Episode yesterday. Yes, there was a REAL reason behind it and not just a cruel joke. We will also play listener audio comments that have come in over the past week. Remember, I am one of the biggest Director advocates... we all want to make things better. Let's all work together and make the next release a real "WOW" product!

If you are subscribed in Itunes already, just update your podcasts and you will find our new episodes there for your listening pleasure.

For those of you that do now know about our podcasts, please visit http://director.magicgate.com

We also have a search engine for searching through our podcasts. Once again, check out the podcast page for more information.

Enjoy!
        • 1. Bad move...
          Level 7
          I'm not from the US. So this April Fool’s thing was something I wasn't
          really expecting. I know what it is and even Google and Virgin are on
          to it: ( < http://www.google.com/virgle/index.html> )

On previous episodes I always suspected that there was a lack of
          professionalism in this Podcast since your were always mentioning
          Integration New Media in almost every episode: I thought, well he's
          gotta do a living... But then again if it’s not an ad, and INM is
          paying for being there you should at least announce it.

Anyway you present yourself as an expert in the opening jingle and you
          should have on mind the sensitive time that everyone in this podcast
          is having since we feel that the tool we are working on is down the
          drain.

Your strategy to build a solid group to deal with Adobe’s abuse is a
          bit rough on the edges: you have no credibility from now on. What’s on
          for the next “show”? One of your friends is gonna pretend to be
          Shantanu Narayen?

--
          I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 87 days.
          You should really try it!
          http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

• 2. Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
            skiplondon Level 1
            Sorry to see you are upset but it proves a point that the upset people are people that really, really, care about Director. It is personal because it is a tool that we ALL use for a living.

BTW, we have no affliation with INM other than they keep in really good communication with us becuase they know we are a good venue for them to get their news out there.

Trust me, nobody is making a living from this podcast... and yes, I would let the listeners know if INM were paying me because that would influence what I would say. I truely believe in their products.

• 3. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
              CenturyMan1979
              Hey Skip,

I am really disappointed by this April's fools joke, see the problem I have is I didn't listen to your podcast until the 2nd since I was out of the office and had no idea on the date it was downloaded to my iTunes. So I took what you said to my weekly meeting at work and was presenting these new updates as why we should wait to buy director until this new update is released. So now I am going to look pretty stupid to my boss and co-workers when I have to go in and tell them that it was information from an April fools joke.

So after this unprofessional move you have made I am going to unsubscribe from your podcast and I will not listen to your show anymore and I will not recommend your show to anyone. You really need to understand your listeners are people that work professionally in the field using director and if you give them false information whether it is a joke or not, then you lose creditability and I for one don't want to double check your information to adobe's site to make sure it is correct, I will just go to Adobe's site and get the news there myself.

Disappointed Former Listener
              • 4. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
                skiplondon Level 1
                Sorry to see you leave and sorry for any issues this may have caused you.
                • 5. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain   yesterday
                  Level 7
                  OK Skip, you have taken a few lumps over this, can you stand one more?

I recognized right away that the podcast was not to be taken seriously.
                  You mentioned in the follow up that the list was intended to be a target
                  for Adobe and here is where I take issue.

In my ever so humble opinion some of the items are reasonable
                  expectations of features that should be included in Director. However
                  some of them are sheer nonsense. I realize that you collected these from
                  listener requests, but don't you feel that by mixing the good ones
                  with the unreasonable/pointless ones reflects poorly on the whole lot?

On the other hand, you were successful to some degree as it my first
                  listen and probably won't be my last.
                  • 6. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We   explain yesterday
                    Level 7
                    "I took what you said to my weekly meeting at work and was presenting
                    these new updates as why we should wait to buy director until this new
                    update is released."

Holy cow! That sucks!
                    • 7. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain    yesterday
                      Level 7
                      You're right; I'm sorry, it proves something: you have no idea on the
                      responsibility on creating content. Who named you the official channel
                      on a community? Get a grip on your ego and try to learn a lesson, you
                      lied, deal with it.

--
                      I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 88 days.
                      You should really try it!
                      http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

• 8. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
                        skiplondon Level 1
                        "I am," Sorry, I think you might have misunderstood my apology. I am not sorry I did the show, I am sorry that so many people wanted to believe the information presented that they forgot what day it was.

Dave, in response to your comment... I purposely put some of the craziness in there to make it even more obvious it was a play on the theme of the day (of course in addition to the announcement in the beginning of the show and the song at the end of the show :) )

end of comments....
                        • 9. Re: Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
                          Level 7
                          I knew it was an April 1 joke right away, and I thought it was funny.

If you are really relying on Director so much that you are upset, let me
                          tell you, it's time to learn another tool. You can do quite a bit of what
                          you can with Director in Flash, and most the things you can't you can find
                          3rd party programs that wrap flash and give you the functionality. I've
                          relied on Director for 10 years, but for the past 3 have been retraining
                          myself. It's pretty obvious it's time to move on, but I hope the best for
                          Director.

But jeez, I though Director was quirky, Flash way out does it because it's
                          such a hodge-podge of stuff. And AS3 is a pain, but there are 3-4 Flash jobs
                          a day advertised here, and 3-4 jobs in Director A YEAR!!!!!

TR

• 10. Director Podcast # 38 Posted - &quot;The Reveal&quot; - We explain yesterday
                            Brian Stew Level 2
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            I knew it was an April 1 joke right away, and I thought it was funny.

If you are really relying on Director so much that you are upset, let me
                            tell you, it's time to learn another tool. You can do quite a bit of what
                            you can with Director in Flash, and most the things you can't you can find
                            3rd party programs that wrap flash and give you the functionality. I've
                            relied on Director for 10 years, but for the past 3 have been retraining
                            myself. It's pretty obvious it's time to move on, but I hope the best for
                            Director.

But jeez, I though Director was quirky, Flash way out does it because it's
                            such a hodge-podge of stuff. And AS3 is a pain, but there are 3-4 Flash jobs
                            a day advertised here, and 3-4 jobs in Director A YEAR!!!!!

I can only agree. I take some pride in being able to wrangle Director, but I do certainly not want to be associated with such a humourless bunch. If someone took the speclist from the joke and presented it on a meeting without any reactions, someone or all must be completely incompetent and/or ignorant about what Director is. "Will be able to publish Shockwave as .swf" - jeez; no bell ringing??? I actually did this: using FileIO and the Flash SDK as documentation I was able to manipulate content within an .swf and write a new one which had new text and images written to it from my own editor created in Director. This is not a feature of Director, it is the POWER of Director.