4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2012 7:58 AM by Sebastian Gross

CS6 - Collapse Multicam?

ExactImage Level 3

Is there any way to collapse a multicam sequence in to simple clips?    I'm trying to move several multicam sequences in to Davinci Resolve and all I get is black frames!

• 2. Re: CS6 - Collapse Multicam?
          ExactImage Level 3

Sorry, harking back to my FCP days where you could collapse a multiclip sequence (upon which a multicam was based).

What I want to do is effectively 'un-nest' the clips so that the real clips take their place on the sequence instead of a nest created by multicam editing.  It really shouldn't be that hard.  Link to the source file directly instead of indirectly! 

Looking back it's been a requested feature since CS3 days at least, and yet we still dont' have it ?     C'mon Adobe, lots of people want this - and yes I've put in a feature request.....

• 3. Re: CS6 - Collapse Multicam?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, there's no way I know of to go backwards.

The only option I can think of at the moment is to not use multicam, but just cut the actual clips.

• 4. Re: CS6 - Collapse Multicam?
              Sebastian Gross Level 1

at least not that easy. you'll have to do the conforming yourself and clip by clip.

workflow in short:

in your multiclip sequence:

- select the desired frame

- hit shortcut for "delete all" (or use the little drop down on upper right of the source monitor)

- hit "f" (mc-angle gets selected)

- hit ctrl+shift+f (jumps into your nested sequence and matches the frame, BUT:

it doesnt select the track by itself, so you'll have to make sure the right track is targeted.

- hit "F" again, so it does what you initially wanted (getting to the source footage...)

- hit "I"

- hit + (couple of frames)

- hit "O"

- get back to your multiclip sequence

- drag the clip on top of your MC (in case you wanna reedit later on)

- trim the end till it fits

i have no idea at this point why adobe has no workaround, or should i say "proper workflow" for that, mc-editing's been around for years and it's a total necessity.

it gets even worse when your nested sequence is e.g. 1280x720 and you want to conform to 1920x1080.

for you cant change the sequence settings at any given time you're pretty much stuck and have to conform the way i just pointed out.

you cant even copy the 720p sequence into a 1080p sequence, because it breaks your link to the original nested sequence.

collapsing mc's (funny wording:) in fcp took seconds, to adjust your sequence settings, a few more.

in PP step one takes between 1 and 2 hours and the error rate increases significantly.

if you find out any more about this, i'd love to read it.

sebastian.