15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 10:43 PM by Hudechrome

CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File

MikeKPhoto Level 2

I have been struggling with an issue where CS6 x64 (Windows 7 SP1) keeps loosing OpenCL, requiring I trash my preferences to gte it back. This evening it happened again. I was using Bridge 6, ACR 7.1 Beta and CS6 x64 version and it happened again. Trashed the preferences and even with mutilple reboots would not recognize OpenCL. So being the curious type I did a search for the Pref's file; and found two (2) instances of CS6 x64 preferences, One in the normal place....../Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 6/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings, then another instance in /Roaming/Adobe/ Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings. Trashed this one as well and OPen CL worked again.

Is this normal behavior to have duplicate Pref's for CS6 x64? Probably not, so what is going on? And can confirm that every now and then a duplicate will show up in the CS5 directory, not consistent, and have not yet found the trigger, but one is definitely there.

Apart from OpenCL not working when this happens, everything seems to work normally...

Thoughts, comments?

MK

• 1. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'd have thought that 64 and 32bit PS would each have their own Preferences file, but that does not seem to be what is happening with your file locations.  I wonder if you'll find you no longer have any problems now you have deleted both instances?

• 2. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
            MikeKPhoto Level 2

It is somewhat intermittent, but heavy use of Bridge, CS6 and ACR is the trigger, and it may be related to having a second monitor running, but I still have ~200 product images to get to a client tomorrow, so need to get that done before I start testing again. But does appear to be load related as well. I can chug through these images pretty quickly. Tomorrow I will disable the second monitor and see what happens.

Clearing both prefs worked, and OpenCL came back, but has been dropped at least 4 times in the last 6 hours. 

Will keep taking a peek to see if I can spot the trigger as I work

MK

• 3. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
              Curt Y Level 7

MikeKPhoto wrote:

./Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 6/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings, then another instance in /Roaming/Adobe/ Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings. Trashed this one as well and OPen CL worked again.

One is for CS6 and the other is CS5.  Since they are seperate programs they would have their own preferences.

Not sure why they would interact.

• 4. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                MikeKPhoto Level 2

Agreed, but definitely had two instances of CS6 x64 prefs one in the right place and another in the CS5 directory, trashing the one in CS5 enabled OpenCL again. Wonder if there is a sort of wild card search for the various Pref's files?

Weird and will keep tracking

MK

• 5. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                  MikeKPhoto Level 2

After testing I can confirm that with my configuration, having a second monitor enabled causes Photoshop CS6 to loose it's OpenCL settings. Ran about three hours of editing through Bridge, CS6 and ACR7.1 Beta with a single monitor and no issues and CS6 maintained OpenCL. As soon as I enabled the second monitor, OpenCL went away.

Will be reporting this as a bug....

MK

• 6. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                    Level 7

Yes, that's a bug in the video card driver.  On another forum you posted that you used an Intel HD4000 chipset.

And for some reason when using dual displays, the driver stops working correctly or fails to meet the requirements for Photoshop.

• 7. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                      Doug.S Level 3

Since I started using CS6 beta, my CS5 std open GL was turned off...CS6 runs Open GL/CL just fine every time.  3D works OK.

Reset prefs in CS5 and it runs fine (Open GL et al OK)...even if I change to another user workspace config...but restart next time and OpenGL is off again...prefs reset makes it work OK.  If shutdown and restarted with prefs having been reset...Open GL does not start OK...must do prefs reset every time.

CS6 beta runs out shortly; will delete it and see if CS5 runs normally again like it did for a long time.

Hopefully new purchase/upgrade to released CS6 will be fine and I'll not be using CS5 much ever anyway....but wondering what the issue is.

Maybe I'll search for prefs files too just before and after deleting CS6 Ps beta.

I use dual monitors but have not had any issues that I am aware of for any app.

I'm using a Radeon 6870 1GB card

• 8. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                        MikeKPhoto Level 2

Understand this could be a video card driver bug, but surely the writing of a Photoshop Pref File would be the domain of Adobe, you would not let any 3rd party to write to that file? So if there is a bug with the driver, why would Adobe write a second pref's file for CS6 to the CS5 directory system? Seems like there are multiple bugs in play here

MK

• 9. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                          Level 7

We've never seen Photoshop CS6 write any preferences to the CS5 prefs folder.

I think you're confusing things a bit.

• 10. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                            MikeKPhoto Level 2

Nice try, but I really know what I am talking about and yes there was a CS6 Prefs file in the CS5 directories. You may not have seen it, well I have. Make me chuckle when developers say that cannot happen, like bugs don't exist

What is the title of this thread "multiple instances of CS6 Pref's" So I would say there is a corner case where CS6 gets confused.....

MK

• 11. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                              Hudechrome Level 2

Two questions:

Does the pref file in CS5 say CS6? and is there also a CS5 pref line as well in CS5?

I'm losing Open CL as well and I don't see a cs6 pref file in CS5. I do see that both files had a modified date of 5-26 for CS5 and 5-27 for CS6. So I opened CS5, opened and closed a file, closed CS5 then checked and sure enough, CS5 is now updated to 5-27.

• 12. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hudechrome wrote:

Two questions:

Does the pref file in CS5 say CS6? and is there also a CS5 pref line as well in CS5?

And what is the 'last updated' date and time on it, and does it relate to anything you have done?

• 13. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Correct. Thanks for adding that. Also, what is the file size? They are close but far enough that they are not the same.

• 14. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                                    MikeKPhoto Level 2

I can confirm I had a CS6 pref's file in both the CS5 and CS6 directories as I mentioned in my original post that started this thread.

Hudechrome, do you have a dual monitor set up?

I have been running all day with a single monitor enabled and have not lost OpenCL once.

Tomorrow the pressure is off as I have sent my job to my customer so I can do some more testing with having a second monitor enabled.

Well I am signing off - time to head up the wooden hill

MK

• 15. Re: CS6 Multiple Instances of Pref's File
                                      Hudechrome Level 2

I have dual monitors.

I asked the question in detail because sometimes what we think we know and what is actually true do not coincide.

Tomorrow, then, although I have some work to deliver on Tuesday.