4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2012 5:22 PM by John Hawkinson

saving 5.5 as 4.0?

hotwheels222

hi all.

just bought indesign for a competition that i need to enter in a couple of days and i am trying to get a indd file on my version to that of someone that is using 4.0 so they can help me finalize this.

they need to put in about 10 hours on this so the idea that they have to do this at my place of work is not ideal since i have other things to do.

can anyone please tell me how to get this document to them and alternatively if they need to do anything to get it back to me?

please don't tell me that they have to upgrade to 5.5 or that they can't work on this file. if this is the case, is there some kind of quick fix for this (such as d/l ing the demo) as I am on a tight deadline here.

TIA for any help.

- jon

• 1. Re: saving 5.5 as 4.0?
          Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Open your file in the Indesign CS5.5

Go to File-->Export and export the file as "IDML"

this IDML file is compatible with CS4

• 2. Re: saving 5.5 as 4.0?
            hotwheels222 Level 1

just tried it. hopefully it works for him.

THANKS!

i suppose there are no gremlins that will bite us during this process? i mean, does he save as IDML and forward to me so i can edit and then i send back to him with no losses or glitches...?

thanks

• 3. Re: saving 5.5 as 4.0?
              Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Indesign supports forward compatibilty , so your collegue doesn't have to export the file as IDML , you can directly open the CS4 file,

whenever you have to send the file to him then you need to export it in IDML,

• 4. Re: saving 5.5 as 4.0?
                John Hawkinson Level 5

i suppose there are no gremlins that will bite us during this process? i mean, does he save as IDML and forward to me so i can edit and then i send back to him with no losses or glitches...?

It is the nature of gremlins to bite.

If you use any features in CS5.5 that do not exist in CS4, then you may have problems.

There may be the possibility of text reflow as well.

Your colleague can certainly download the CS5.5 30-day free trial and use that. It might be a better approach.