3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 7:19 AM by James_233

Grid is invisible in InDesign CS6 but visible in Acrobat

James_233 Level 1

I am working on a desiger-created InDesign file, transferring text and graphics into PowerPoint.

Some pages have a grid (as used on a cutting board)  which displays in pdf files but is invisible in InDesign, so I cannot select and amend it. I have tried:

1. enlarging the page to max, still no sign of the grid

2. checked to see if print background grid is on when creating the pdf file. It isn't. In any case this invisible grid is limited to a decorative frame not quite the size of the page

3. Checked all of the images, recolouring etc. to see if they contain the grid

4. Checked if any layers containing the grid are hidden. None are.

Can this grid be an effect on a mask? If so, how can I locate it and make it visible in InDesign?

Does anyone have a clue or suggestions about this?

I've attached a screenshot (from pdf of the PPT presentation) which shows the invisible grid (the nice pale one) to the right of the screen-visible one I created, thinking the invisible grid did not exist.

The grid is invisible in PowerPoint as well, until I print it as a pdf, but if I can locate it in InDesign I can either delete it  or make it so it can be seen on screen in both apps.

INDD_PPT %22invisible grid%22.png

Thanks for any help.

On the Mac. Both of my screens are Apple Cinema Displays.

• 1. Re: Grid is invisible in InDesign CS6 but visible in Acrobat
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Not visible in InDesign but it does pop up in a PDF? That's strange. It is possible to designate objects as "visible-but-not-printable" and the other way around, but that only goes for the produced PDF file. In InDesign itself, this object would always be visible.

Pretty much the same goes for your "on a hidden layer" idea. Stuff on a hidden layer does not get exported to a PDF (by default), but then making all layers visible ought to have it show up.

Only thing I can think of is (a) delete any random object in InDesign, then (b) export to PDF. Repeat until the grid disappears; then it has something to do with the last object you deleted ...

By the way, are you sure you are looking at the right view in InDesign? In Preview Mode you won't see "everything", you must use the normal "working" view where you can see the pasteboard and guide lines and such. (That said, the Preview mode *should* display the file the way it gets exported, so then you would also see it in ID.)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grid is invisible in InDesign CS6 but visible in Acrobat
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

[Jongware] wrote:

(That said, the Preview mode *should* display the file the way it gets exported, so then you would also see it in ID.)

I'm not sure that's 100% true if you were to export with Include Visible guides and Grids checked -- not a setting I use.

• 3. Re: Grid is invisible in InDesign CS6 but visible in Acrobat
              James_233 Level 1

Thank you Jongware.

I located the item, it is "<pasted graphic>" in Layer 2. As I cannot do anything with it, I'll hide it for the export and use my cruder grid in PowerPoint, though I might make it more transparent so it is more like the original. I recoloured the pale background to black (I hadn't made it that dark before) and there was, very faintly, the grid.

I find it difficult to think about the solution to such invisible problems when trying to finish 97 slides in two days.

And thanks to Adobe for the new layer feature in InDesign. In CS7 maybe we can get to rename items in the layers???