7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2012 3:49 AM by nealeh

Photo File Size and Photoshop processing

KeriLynn18

On  previous discussion, Steve Grisetti noted that problems with burning are sometimes associated with photo file size.  The post stated that Photoshop Elements has a batch processing selection that can resize photos all at once.  I when to Photoshop, selected process multiple file, selected source, save in same as source, and resize images 1000.  When I viewed my photos after, about 50 of my photos were now duplicates of other photos For example, I put all my pictures in timeline order prior to doing my video.  If I found a NEW photo after I had already scanned and named the photos, I would place the NEW photo in the picture folder by adjusting accordingly:  1.jpg, 2.jpg 3.1.jpg 3.jpg The 3.1.jpg would be the NEW photo.  Photoshop replaced 3.1jpg with the picture in 3jpg.  Does anyone know how to restore my photos back to the original "3.1jpg"?  The backup is not accessible at this time.

• 1. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that was Bill Hunt... Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

And... I also think you need to ask Photoshop Elements questions in that forum

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop_elements

• 2. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If processing multiple files created duplicates of your photos when it resized, then you origina photos are still their original size.

If you sized an original photo smaller and then saved it, you can't get the original size back.

If you're asking something else, I'm sorry but it's not clear what you're asking, Keri.

• 3. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
              the_wine_snob Level 9

When doing any Photoshop work on my Images, I always work with Copies of the Images, and never from the originals. I keep my originals on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive, and will Copy the needed ones to a separate folder, usually on one of my internal HDD's, or to an external, attached via FireWire 800. Then, when I Scale (Automate>Batch>[My Scaling Action] in PS, it is working with those Copies, and not the originals, which are safe and untouched. The PSElements version of that Scaling "automation" was furnished by Neale, who kindly wrote those instructions. I cannot comment on the PSE version, as I have never used PSE. Still, and regardless of the program, I would always work with Copies of the Still Images, and never the originals.

Also, when doing a Scaling operation, I like to use PS's native file format, PSD, rather than re-compress an image to JPEG for use in Video. In most the cases with my Images, I am starting with RAW Image, and then processing them to PSD, and finally, Scaling to PSD. I would also never re-compress a JPEG to another JPEG, just due to the nature of the JPEG compression. I like to keep the quality as high, as is possible, especially if I am going to Video, where the final Image will be only a small % of the original's resolution.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
                KeriLynn18 Level 1

Hi Steve.  Thanks for your reply.  Bottomline is that any file that I changed the file name on before the processing, was changed back to the original photo.  For example, if I had a cat picture and it was labled 1.jpg and then I decided I wanted the cat picture to be 2.jpg, and have a dog picture be 1.jpg, after the processing, both the 1.jpg and the 2.jpg were converted to 1000x750 and were now BOTH dogs.  This is a little different than my original explaination...hope this helps. I am thinking they are lost and I cannot recover.

• 5. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap of the dialog in your Action, and the Automate>Batch (or whatever it's called in PSE)? I would guess that something was set in the File Naming dialog, has caused this, but am not sure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is what Automate>Batch looks like in PS CS2:

Automate)Batch.png

I would guess that something is off in the File Naming area, and perhaps also in the Starting Serial # section too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Photo File Size and Photoshop processing
                      nealeh Level 5

If I understand you correctly you have been using the renaming feature and the parameters you used caused file1 to be renamed to a pre-existing filename (file2). If this is so then you probably have lost the original file2. An undelete utility may help (try Piriform Recuva).

For the future when using batch conversion it is good practice to select a new folder for the outputted files.

It is also good practice to burn all image originals to a CD or DVD immediately after importing from your camera. This way you can always recover originals.

Here are a couple of screenshots, the first from Elements Organizer and the second from Photoshop Elements. Which one did you use and what parameters did you enter?

2.png

3.png

Cheers,

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children