8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 4:27 PM by Dan Fredley

new viewer window not syncing

lmaclanphere Level 1

hi all

quick question: I am creating a new viewer window, after locking my original, to view side by side (edit this look at that). But usually these two windows are synced to the same spot on the timeline--in other words synced to eachother, and somehow the two windows are not synced

what did I do wrong??

thanks very much!

LML

• 1. Re: new viewer window not syncing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, are your comps actually "related", i.e. nested? If not, there's nothing to synchronize.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: new viewer window not syncing
            lmaclanphere Level 1

hi, thanks

yes they are nested;  and they  are out of sync by a significant number of frames

LML

• 3. Re: new viewer window not syncing
              lmaclanphere Level 1

I have cut up the (nested) comp in the main comp in several places--and spliced in some other footage (lengthening the nested sequence, effectively)... so I am guessing this probably is the problem?  After effects only syncs the window based on the main comp's timeline, and can't account for my cut/splicing?  I linked to a diagram below if that's a bit unclear....

[URL=http://www.use.com/ea3a2106b0c29d2e47f2]

thanks again

LML

• 4. Re: new viewer window not syncing

Actually AE should still show you the correct time inside the nested comp. That's the whole point of its "liquid time" concept. It just won't work the other way around in your case - if you change the time in the pre-comp, it won't update the main comp since your pre-comp is used multitple times with different start times and that's impossible to figure out.Beyond that, do double-check whether you didn't turn off the "synchronize time of related items" in the prefs...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: new viewer window not syncing
                  lmaclanphere Level 1

ok, interesting

so if I have this straigt, if I lock the viewer on the subcomp, then in a second viewer containing the main comp I should be able to change the time and have them both sync up properly?

but then if I want to edit the subcomp, I will actually have to switch back over (have both windows on the nested comp) to do any editing? this is unfortunate as it adds a barrier to the "edit this look at that" concept.

by the way, yes, I've confirmed the setting "synchronize time of related items" is on in prefs

thanks again

LML

• 6. Re: new viewer window not syncing

You are simply causing a logic paradox by using your comp multiple times with temporal offset. There is no way for the nested comp to actually know which instance of it you want to address in the parent comp. It only works the other way around in your case. No need to switch the viewers, though in your example there is no reason at all to use ETLAT because of the way you are doing it.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: new viewer window not syncing
                      lmaclanphere Level 1

many thanks

I guess I need to rethink how I'm setting up my file (for editing purposes)

LML

• 8. Re: new viewer window not syncing
                        Dan Fredley Level 1

It's a bit complicated, but here's how you do it.

• Create locked side by side comp viewers
                        • Create side by side timelines
                        • In the main comp, duplicate the layer you want to sync with, drag it to the top and turn the visibility off
                        • Use the main comp timeline window to scrub and preview
                        • Use the precomp timeline window to make adjustments on a single frame

Dragging the precomp layer to the top of the main comp ensures that the precomp timeline will sync up as you scrub through in the main comp timeline. Don't scrub in the precomp timeline window or it will sync up with the precomp that has the earliest in point in the main comp.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to make a feature request to choose which precomp layer you would like to sync to. Go to Help>Send Feedback.

(For future reference to anybody interested.)